Flyfishing - K3 & Rock River Report 6-6-06 (Pic) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flyfishing - K3 & Rock River Report 6-6-06 (Pic)

One of my buddies and I got out to Rock Creek today. Before I did, I looked at the Kankakee by Warner Bridge, but it was muddy, high and the flow was fast. So, I decided to take my buddy over to Rock Creek. The smallies are still spawning and there were a lot of fish in plain view. There were also a lot of kids probably out of school and it got worse as the day went on.

While the volume of fishermen was low we managed to do quite well. I got about a dozen smallies, of which five were 12", 2 were 16" and this one which was 18". The rest were all under 10". I also managed a few rock bass to add to the fun. All fish were caught flyfishing and released. For those interested I was using Clouser's, Madonna's, and streamers. Pretty big patterns in either yellow, white, chartreuse, olive, or a combination of yellow/white, white/chartreuse/olive, or olive/chartreuse.

Flyrodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice Job!! Great colors on him! I'm waiting for my new fly rod to come in so I can go back to Rock Creek. You're pictures are inspiring me to go asap. Is that picture near the bridge?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Smallie Locatio

No, it's not near the bridge and I won't say exactly where it was, but I did catch smallies the entire length of the river. I lost two that almost ripped my 5 wt Sage XP out of my hand when they took and busted my 3X tippet off like it was spider webbing. I LOVE IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Smallie Locatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrodder
No, it's not near the bridge and I won't say exactly where it was, but I did catch smallies the entire length of the river. I lost two that almost ripped my 5 wt Sage XP out of my hand when they took and busted my 3X tippet off like it was spider webbing. I LOVE IT!!
Why won't you say exactly where it is?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Kankakee State Park

All you have to do is go into the Kankakee State Park, head towards the concession stand and there is Rock Creek. Walk up and down the creek towards the Kankakee river and away and you will find many, many spots!
Just about everyone who goes into the state park knows where rock creek is at. It's a publicized, not hidden spot, all you have to do is provide the leg power.............walking that is. It's still catch and release of all smallies, regardless of size until 06/15/06, I think? And they do have it posted near the bridge over rock creek, so be aware! Just a reminder, that's is all.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

curveball, i know where rock creek is. I was just trying to figure out what hole he was in. I've been to rock creek numerous times, and the background looked familiar, but it wasn't coming to me. just one of those annoyances.

i think i know where that is though.. a lil past the waterfalls..
Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Smallies on Rock Creek

It's just one of my practices not to post exact spots on a public bulletin board. Suffice it to say, it's not too far upstream of the first set of rapids ()or waterfall as you call it).

The one thing that pissed me off though was that I saw three guys on the creek with a stringer of about 8 fish that were 12" long.... I told them they had better release them......but I heard from someone at the parking lot later that they took about a dozen fish home with them. WHere is the DNR when you need them?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I hate that. Anyways, I never knew you can fish past the waterfall. How far up can you fish?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Rock Creek

Excuse me, just trying to be helpful. But as I do know there are hundreds of holes in the creek and it would be impossible to pinpoint an exact location. I guess you just need to do a little exploring yourself. But then again what might be in one hole one day might not be there the next. As a matter of fact they (fish) might not be there ten minutes after you leave? Thats the sport of fishing.............................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in