Rock Creek 8/6/06 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rock Creek 8/6/06

Took my dad to our usual stetch of Rock Creek. this was his first time out since his partial knee replacement. The water was a little higher than the usual summer time levels, but the water was cloudy and stained brown. We each caught at least 40-50 rock bass with a few sunfish and creek chubs thrown inthe mix. We also got one 12" smallie each. All fish were caught on the flyrod with my personal version of the scud, cream color. I tied them the night before and I put a little too much weight inthem, so we were snagging the bottom alot. The fish were actively feeding, but the were biting so light, we couldn't feel them/ All we could do was watch th tip of our line for a slight twitch.

When we were first getting into the water, there were 2 vultures nesting in the tree above us. I got a picture, but it didn't come out too clearly. If I can clean it up a little, I'll post it. Otherwise, none of the fish were of any decent size, so I didn't bother taking any pics.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rock Creek 8/6/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFishing
Took my dad to our usual stetch of Rock Creek. this was his first time out since his partial knee replacement. The water was a little higher than the usual summer time levels, but the water was cloudy and stained brown. We each caught at least 40-50 rock bass with a few sunfish and creek chubs thrown inthe mix. We also got one 12" smallie each. All fish were caught on the flyrod with my personal version of the scud, cream color. I tied them the night before and I put a little too much weight inthem, so we were snagging the bottom alot. The fish were actively feeding, but the were biting so light, we couldn't feel them/ All we could do was watch th tip of our line for a slight twitch.

When we were first getting into the water, there were 2 vultures nesting in the tree above us. I got a picture, but it didn't come out too clearly. If I can clean it up a little, I'll post it. Otherwise, none of the fish were of any decent size, so I didn't bother taking any pics.
Sounds about right with Rock Creek during this time of year. Rock Bass are killing everything in sight. That sucks that the water is still stained and high. I was hoping that it would clear up. Were the Rock Bass decent size or were they pretty small?

Thanks for the report!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Most of the rock bass were average size, about 8". No big ones, though. I can usually catch a couple that are close to a pound, but not this time. I did manage to catch a couple of the smallest rockies I'd ever seen, about 3".
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in