Kankakee Help - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kankakee Help

I recently moved from NJ to Palatine, IL and just made my first trip to the Kankakee yesterday. My wife and I got down to Kankakee State Park and fished for a little bit. The water was slightly stained, which may or may not be normal for the river, and I only managed one smallmouth. We also took a look at Rock Creek and saw a few fish in there as well but couldn't get any to bite. I was throwing an 1/8 oz. Road Runner yellow marabou jig and Stefanie took a few casts with a topwater. I seemed to snag periodically but I figured the jig was my best bet. We saw a lot of fishermen but we were the only one's wet wading. Only saw one other fisherman catch a smallie on hellgrammittes or worms. Seems like there's much to learn about the river but we will be making a trip back in the weekends to come. Any insight to fishing the river around Kankakee State Park would be greatly appreciated. It is more of a live bait river or are there regulars here who fish lures and flies? Hope to see a few of you guys there one of these days.
pmjasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jasper, you should look at Localyokals posts. He is the local expert and is a wealth of knowledge. chitownflyfisher seems to be the K3 flyfishing expert. I don't get down there nearly as often as I used to. I used to live in Mokena, now I live in Palatine, too. I use both a spinning rod and a fly rod on the K3. Live bait works - helgies, minnows, etc. But, I do pretty well on roostertails, jig/twisters or plastic helgie, Storm swimbaits. For the flyrod, I like leeches, crawfish, helgie, zugbug patterns.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks lot for the insight. I may tie up a few hellgrammitte flies and give them a try next weekend, weather permitting. It was nice to actually be fishing a river after over a month of not being by moving water in my new state. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

The gar like bright colored wollybugers. Gar are hard to hook, but their teeth get caught in the body of the fly. Crappie jigs will do the same.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

In Palatine hit the Fox for some smallies, in Geneva or Batavia, K3 smallies can be taken on nymphs, like this one.

FL
First Light is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again. I still have to hit the Fox but I really likes the shallow, smallish nature of the Kankakee near the state park. Hopefully I'll get back that way this weekend and give it another shot. Sounds like there are a lot of active catfish being taken on hellgramittes. I'm sure nightcrawlers would work as well. Just wish it wasn't Monday night as I'm ready to catch some fish. Just can't wait to get back down that way.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Be careful when wading down there when the water is up and you don't know the river. Recommend some studded felt wading shoes which can save you on those slippery ledges and rocks. Ex NJ guy here, grew up there, married a Chicago princess in 77 and been gone from NJ except for visits since 79.

Just hope the floating moss/weeds does not kick in on the K3 like it usually does this time of year and is a real pain.

FL
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you FirstLight. My wife and I were the only one's wet wading, which seemed a little odd and all the weeds freaked her out a bit. Once she saw a good sized turtle surface in the current she was outta there. Maybe next time I will bring the waders to be on the safe side.

As far as leaving NJ, it has been an adjustment for sure. Arrived here May 27th, so I'm still pretty new to the area and the fishery. Haven't really found any moving water close to Palatine that I was confortable with but the Kankakee is more to my liking. Perhaps I'll even camp there on weekend and see what I can manage fishing wise. I see there are also some pretty large catfish in there, but I'm assuming they are in the wider sections of the river and not necessarily the state park area.

Thanks again the all for the insight and maybe I'll see one of you on the river bank soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Being NW of Chicago you should start checking out Wisconsin, lots of good fly fishing, I am SW of Chicago 29 miles and do Michigan and Indiana much more over the last 20+ years since moving out here.

Iowa NE corner has some good trout and bass fishing river fishing also. :-

Where did you FF in Jersey and I suspect NY and PA ?

I was a north jersey guy and lots of NY Catskill trout fishing with some NE PA also.

FL
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigron08
Default Rock Creek

Fellas can someone explain to him about that deep drop off @ the mouth of Rock Creek, since he is wading? I myself am looking foward to wading there but hesitant to do so because of that spot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in