K3 dam area - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default K3 dam area

Was hoping to get out tomorrow nite. Usually fish Wilmington but that closes for nite fishing and most of the other spots i know are quite a trek. Can you fish the K3 dam at nite? Is there places to park also curious about access at Station St. once again place to park?
jaycbs74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

The wilmington dam is open until 10pm
herpin1579 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

What about the sign that says park closes at 6? I know some spots behind the old papermill, but theyre quite a hike, and could probably fish as late as we wanted.
jaycbs74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you fish at the north end of the park in NORTH ISLAND PARK right where the mill race is,the cops won't run you out if you don't cause any problems. I've even had a fire there before. It's kinda "we don't see you if you cause no problem" SHHHHHHHH
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default winter north island park carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
If you fish at the north end of the park in NORTH ISLAND PARK right where the mill race is,the cops won't run you out if you don't cause any problems. I've even had a fire there before. It's kinda "we don't see you if you cause no problem" SHHHHHHHH
Hello. Any chance that you catch common or mirror carp there during the winter? The water level was too high there during the K3 River Valley Tournament to ledger for carp, I got caught up watching some nut jobs wading neck deep in the river channel trying to catch who knows what, no one died that I know of, not like the idiot parents who let their kids hang over the dam at Island Park.
Big Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

I never fished for carp there, last thing I caught was a 5 # cat 2 weeks ago.
Have you ever fished under 9th street bridge in Lockport ( In canal) for carp I seen some guys bring some big one out of there!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
I never fished for carp there, last thing I caught was a 5 # cat 2 weeks ago.
Have you ever fished under 9th street bridge in Lockport ( In canal) for carp I seen some guys bring some big one out of there!
I have fished that spot for several years, not many times this summer because the access road was used as a staging area for construction equipment and supplies while the bridge was being repaired. The largest carp I have caught there was 19#, there have been some low to mid 20's caught while I was there, I have seen pictures of some mid 30 pounders caught near the north grain elevator. Since both grain elevators have been closed for several years now, and each year the water gets a little clearer and colder, the carp fishing has been tapering off. It also does not help when the Water Reclamation Police kick the fishermen out of there.
Big Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default As far as I know NO Wilmington night fishing is allowed.

Does anyone remember several yeasrs back about the hispanic family that was out there and someone died trying to rescue relatives? It was on all news stations. Since then a night fishing ban is in effect. We used to bring beer there too, which hasn't been allowed either for at least 10 years. Even the area facing down stream on the left side below RT 53 bridge has no more public access. I've also heard of tickets being given to anglers on the right side facing downstream almost through RT 55. This all is off limits except by boat. The Des Plain F&W area (Near Lake Millkin and Prarie Creek) has also been closed for years. Illinois River anglers will also be wise to kniw that Illini Park up from Marseilles dam is also closed to boating, fishing and picnicing. Before people offer advice as to where they suggest fishing at, know the local laws. Many parks are closing, what next Starved Rock too? Many parks have been closed for years. I recall fishing Apple River Canyon State Park. Now it's a frickin' codominium resort and is all private. Remember all of Chicag's free parking and fishing areas. Now, either they are closed (Due to terrorist stuff) we can't fish on the Rainbow Beach Breakwater, because they think someone will monkey with Chicago's water supply. The only free Lake Michigan shoreline access I know of is Calumet Beach area. I've never felt safe in that neck of the woods. Good thing we still have forest preserves. Oh, are they clsoing due to years of garbage that has never picked up for decades? IE: Walk 3 or four blocks west at Saganashkee, from the spillway. You can still find "steel" beer cans that have been there from the 1960's if they haven't rusted and became bottom sedimentary heavy metals in the bottom of the slough.
fishrelease is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Fishrelease

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone remember several yeasrs back about the hispanic family that was out there and someone died trying to rescue relatives? It was on all news stations. Since then a night fishing ban is in effect. We used to bring beer there too, which hasn't been allowed either for at least 10 years. Even the area facing down stream on the left side below RT 53 bridge has no more public access. I've also heard of tickets being given to anglers on the right side facing downstream almost through RT 55. This all is off limits except by boat. The Des Plain F&W area (Near Lake Millkin and Prarie Creek) has also been closed for years. Illinois River anglers will also be wise to kniw that Illini Park up from Marseilles dam is also closed to boating, fishing and picnicing. Before people offer advice as to where they suggest fishing at, know the local laws. Many parks are closing, what next Starved Rock too? Many parks have been closed for years. I recall fishing Apple River Canyon State Park. Now it's a frickin' codominium resort and is all private. Remember all of Chicag's free parking and fishing areas. Now, either they are closed (Due to terrorist stuff) we can't fish on the Rainbow Beach Breakwater, because they think someone will monkey with Chicago's water supply. The only free Lake Michigan shoreline access I know of is Calumet Beach area. I've never felt safe in that neck of the woods. Good thing we still have forest preserves. Oh, are they clsoing due to years of garbage that has never picked up for decades? IE: Walk 3 or four blocks west at Saganashkee, from the spillway. You can still find "steel" beer cans that have been there from the 1960's if they haven't rusted and became bottom sedimentary heavy metals in the bottom of the slough.

I don't wish to argue but this information is simply not true. I've been fishing this area ever since I was a Wilmington police officer,
And this summer on three occasions was checked by CPO and in fact have one of there cell phone # in case I see bucketheads. But never have they chased out LEGAL fishermen. Same with Wilmington P.D. and the Park as long as you our respectfull and law abidding.
I will agree the BLAGO is not good for Illinois and sportsmen, but that where numbers count. forums like this and others to band together and let all the politicians ( from mayors on up) that represent you, know what's important and that you vote United we are a voice, divide we are a noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in