Mazon River 7-27-2009 River Monster!! - Page 6 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #51 (permalink)

DD(Doctor D);
I always start with my disclaimer of not being much of a River Rat, but I too have lived in the Mazon/K3/Illinois river area all my life. I have fond memories of catin with Dad in the Mazon River down by Cornell, IL way back in the 60s. I also spent some of my youth wading Horse Creek, a tributary of the K3 in the 70s. I've done a little wading in the K3 and some fishing from a boat. I know the K3 is one of the premier smally streams in the state known for its numerous 2-3.5 lb fish, but I was always under the impression that a bronzeback approaching 4lb in the KanK was a trophy. Don't get me wrong!-I'm glad there out there! That's why all the buzz about a 5+ from the Mazon (a small river)! Maybe river smallie guys are tight-lipped about the 3.5-5 lb bronzebacks, and that's fine too. Dale Bowman, Outdoor Editor for the Chicago Sun Times, claims that the next state record smallie will come from Lake Michigan. I always thought LaSalle Lake had the best shot, but that window of oppurtunity for a record smallie may have closed in the late 80s-early 90s.
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #52 (permalink)

I agree that smallies over 4 lbs are uncommon.

Ive caught hundreds, maybe even thousands of smallmouth in my 25 years of fishing and maybe three of them were 4+ lbs.

Biggest one I've ever seen in person was early May at a creek mouth of the K3 using a creek chub. Was 5 lbs, 5 oz. using a fishing scale. Again, not common by any means.

It is probably not a good idea to reveal such a hot spot, particularly when the stream in question is quite small and fairly tough to gain access. I do think that those things will help deter everybody and their brother from bombarding that area. Hopefully the extra attention will also mean some extra patrols by the Conservation Police.
Doctor D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #53 (permalink)

*sigh*
EricBev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #54 (permalink)

EricBev;
Are we 'beating a dead horse' as far as the wading rights issue is concerned??? OK-I'll let it rest; but just wait-someday you'll be 57 years old like me and you start to think, dream, and blog about fishing rather than getting out and doing it! Just kidding-hit Carp Lake at Mazonia yesterday afternoon.
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #55 (permalink)

The funniest thing is I never even revealed the spot. Others that posted in the thread did. Go back through and read how the exact location is talked about, even pin-pointing down to where to park, etc. I specifically left that information out to prevent others from going there, but when you have random people pipe up and say "Hey I know that exact spot you're fishing at, where you park (here) and walk down (here) and there's that little (thing) there where I've caught tons of fish!!" is going a little overboard. The funniest part is I think the person who is angry about this is the one who revealed the most info? I don't get how people can read the initial post and then give exact details of the location, though. The fact remains nothing I did put more people at this spot, it's what others within this thread did when giving out exact details of where to park, where to fish, etc. If I wanted people there I would have told Bowman exactly where I parked, hiked in, fished, every detail of it. I also would have given every detail within my post. Yet I did not. Oh well, what can you do? Some people are just... slow.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #56 (permalink)

Anger and disappointment are two different things and one shouldnt be mistaken for the other.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out where you were fishing and exactly how to get to it. Its the exact same spot every single person has gone to for the past 20 years. Any bonehead with google earth could find where the road meets the creek in about 15 seconds. There is only like 5 or 6 spots along the entire river (before it splits and almost all of which contain guard rails) where it even goes near public roads.

I have no qualms with posting pictures and stories about the fish I catch. Its fun to share your excitement and adventures with other people who also share a passion for the sport. I love fishing and a day of numbers is quickly forgotten when you catch a real trophy like the one you did. Its the reason we keep going back. But when I do the work and hunt down a real good spot that I know gets next to zero fishing pressure, you can bet that Im not going to post the name of the body of water the fish were caught out of. Im surely not going to email a widely spread newspaper about it. Places like that, as your hour drive and due diligence represent, are not all that easy to come by. Maybe thats just me?

Although I undoubtedly stoked the fire, I revealed nothing that wasnt already assumed after the first post. All it takes is a picture of a beautiful fish and the name of river nobodys heard of before. The attitude is hardly necessary.
EricBev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #57 (permalink)

Sorry about the attitude Eric, but it gets tiring reading posts of an accusatory tone (not necessarily this post alone, but many I've read across all the chicago fishing forums no matter who it is directed at) because someone fished a spot and had good success. You think that if someone caught a big fish on Heidecke or Lasalle or Lake Michigan that there won't be more people out there trying to duplicate those results on that particular body of water as well? It's the nature of reports being posted on forums. The fact remains that odds are the only people who are fishing that spot now are those who live in the area and just never really fished it before, or haven't fished it in quite some time, or possibly those who never thought to fish it who live in that area. I go out of my way to fish, going above and beyond what your typical weekend angler will do in order to catch some fish, and as I said before, most people are too lazy or unwilling to go the lengths I go just to catch a few fish. Before I even posted the report one day me and my brother saw 3 cars not including mine parked in that same area on a weekday no less, where 3 or 4 people were wading up river from that area, we waded downriver, one guy was catfishing the mouth with his girlfriend/wife, and 2 or 3 kids were down on the beach down-river from there by the first big bend fishing with live bait for whatever, not sure, maybe cats. This was a weekday. One has to remember with the insane amount of unemployed people these days, as well as the amount of teens and such in highschool or right out of that can't find jobs because nobody is hiring there will be a lot more pressure on every body of water. Take a ride past the forest preserve lakes on a weekend and tell me there isn't more and more people fishing there than ever before. It's the nature of the world, and the economy currently. Again I apologize for the attitude, but I explained my reasoning above, and in the future I'll try to keep it in line. After re-reading my post I could have went about it in a different way, I just obviously knew you were "disappointed, or angry", or whatever you were and my first reaction, like most people, is defending myself. Anyways, good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in