Selling Helgamites=5 years Prison Time - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Selling Helgamites=5 years Prison Time

Just thought you might wanna know it is Illegal to sell Helgamites in Illinois, Maybe That is why they don't sell them at bait shops!!!Up to 5 years state law. Also according to D.N.R. it is illegal to HARVEST them as they are hard to keep and they are right behind the crayfish as the most popular forage for the smallmouth. In fact Wisconsin is the only state that harvest and resells them to other states.

So on behalf of the Smallmouth Alliance of Illinois,,,Stop taking the Helgies!! Pay the 2bucks for plastics or buy minnows or crawlers something that is at least LEGAL in Illinois waters.

Thanks Gilbert
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Selling Helgamites=5 years Prison Time

Could you please cite the law that indicates that harvesting Hellgramites is Illegal in Illinois? If it is true, then maybe me harvesting Freshwater Mussels to use for catfish when I was a kid makes me no worse than hellgramite hunters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Grape
Just thought you might wanna know it is Illegal to sell Helgamites in Illinois, Maybe That is why they don't sell them at bait shops!!!Up to 5 years state law. Also according to D.N.R. it is illegal to HARVEST them as they are hard to keep and they are right behind the crayfish as the most popular forage for the smallmouth. In fact Wisconsin is the only state that harvest and resells them to other states.

So on behalf of the Smallmouth Alliance of Illinois,,,Stop taking the Helgies!! Pay the 2bucks for plastics or buy minnows or crawlers something that is at least LEGAL in Illinois waters.

Thanks Gilbert
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure about mussels....never really considered that,,Good Point,, Did you catch big cats?? I usually don't fish for them but catch them time to time,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Removed
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

What post is that???
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Trollin, trollin trollin...starting trouble again. What's eating you, Gilbert?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Removed
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Can you please post the regs or a link to them that says it's illegal to harvest helgrammites in IL? You made a statement that needs backing up. It sucks to get arrested for doing something you believe is legal. Conversely, it sucks to not do something you enjoy that's not illegal, because some guy on the web said it was.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

MAMA SHE'S NOT WELL.. The house is on fire,,And Arnie is in the Water Tower again,,,

It's about the fish bro..That's all..Protect the fish and there forage,,There are to many BUCKETS being filled,,now people wanna take there food systems away.

Lil bit disturbing to Gilbert,, That is all

I never troll by the way,, I hear people troll for Salmon and Trout on the big lake and Muskie,,But that is way boring to me.

Call any Baitshop and ask about Helgies. They will tell you. I talked to a few of the guys at Strictly Fishin and they told me the same. As a Avid Smallmouth fisherman they take a long time to get any size to them, Why take there forage away,

Call any D.N.R. officer,, ask them when you see them. I am friends with several of them and help them hang the signs all along the Dupage, They are everywhere... READ THEM SIGNS,,Don't just walk by them,, They are there for a reason

PROTECT THE SMALLIES
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

From trepassing on public ponds to the illegal harvest of hellgramites - I don't think the DNR will have the man power to stop this crime wave from spreading, they are going to have to call in for backup...

Put out the bat signal - LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN (according to a guy on the internet)
RiverRat242 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in