plea for helgies.... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default plea for helgies....

i always thought that things caught in the river can be used in that river as bait as long as there were no size regs. on whatever it is that you are using. i know that it is NOT LEGAL to use fish from other systems as bait in most places. i.e. blue gills from a pond to use as bait for flatheads in the river. a very nice ranger pointed that out to me one night....

as for helgies... please some of you kank boys come up and out some in the dupage. ive flipped 100s of rocks that probably havent been flipped ever and cant even find a crayfish. so someone come and plant some of those ugly,nasty critters... PLEASE!!!!
kauaianryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: plea for helgies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaianryan
i know that it is NOT LEGAL to use fish from other systems as bait in most places. i.e. blue gills from a pond to use as bait for flatheads in the river. a very nice ranger pointed that out to me one night....
It has always been legal to use bluegills from one location at another as long as the creel and size limit rules are obeyed. It's always been legal for me to seine minnows in the Fox and use them elsewhere. I've been argued with that I'm wrong over and over until I point out in the fishing rulebook that using the gills and minnows elsewhere was legal.

I'm not sure when you spoke with the ranger, but catching and using elsewhere was legal until last summer when the VHS emergency regs went into effect. So currently (maybe temporarily, maybe permanently) it's illegal, but only because of the new rules to stop the spread of VHS. Prior to that, it was fine to do so.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default stocking stuff

Best to check with the IDNR before stocking helgies from one river to another. Mixing genetic stocks has been found to have unwanted effects on native stocks. It's illegal to stock fish from one body of water to another. There may not be a law written about moving benthic macrofauna between river systems but it would be best to ask someone like Bob Rung or Steve Pesticelli of the IDNR first.
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't Know about the legallity of transplanting helgramights from one eco system to another but I doubt that it is legal. Insects are not specifally talked about in the fishing digest or in the Adminastrative Code 805 dealing with the introduction of injurious species. http://dnr.state.il.us/legal/adopted/805.pdf
It talks about "Aquatic" nuisance species. It defines "aquatic" as all fish, reptiles, amphibians, crayfish, and mussels. No mention of insects, their larva or eggs.
I think there are way to many risks to even consider transplanting any species on our own. Diseases, lost of genetic tolerant strains of natural stocks due to cross breeding, complete loss of naturally occuring species, and complete changes in habit as an introduced species takes over an ecosystem, are just a few of the reasons not to do it. Look at the problems caused by the rusty crayfish and asion carp. A far stretch? I don't know. Could the introduction of an insect not in the current system, unbalance the naturally occuring insects on the Dupe and possibly have an effect on the whole river ecosystem? Again I don't know but I wouldn't want to take the chance. Many people don't seem to see the risk when they "think" they are helping mother nature. I don't know if there naturally occuring dobson flies / helgramites in the Dupage drainage but, I think, with them being a winged insect, when the river systems are ready for them, they will occur naturally. I have used them as bait many places where they do not occur naturally and while they caught fish they were no better then worms and probably less effective then minnows, leaches, or crayfish. If there isn't enough of them for the fish to be foraging on them or you to can't readily find them, they pretty much loose their affectiveness as a live bait.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its hard to imagine Helgies not being part of any healthy river ecosystem... interesting to note that the Helgies on the Kank. are making a huge come back from the days of the heavy industrial factories in the Kank. area!
Coincidence ?? I believe not.
Perhaps the Dupage simply doesnt have the proper foundational ecosystem to support and sustain the beloved Helgies ??
On another note the Adult version of the Helgie ... the Dobson Fly are everywhere in the dark hours this week!! Its a blast to catch one hook, em on the flyrod and gently lob em into the quite slow water/fast water seams and hang on... everything in the river eats Helgies!!!
Praise to the Helgie !!! Smallies too!!!!
k3flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in