Area 9 on the 28th - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to quick4x4

i have caught many of these critters over the years......I dislike them alot.
Not only do you have to deal with the teeth........but they smell badly.

I have never and will never fish for them intensionally.....but to catch them you do have to let them run with a bait a little to get a decent chance of catching them.

Whats really weird is over 95% of these fish that I have caught apparently had some gastrointestinal issue and died

the other 5% managed to get away from me before they developed this problem.
quick4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm with local-filthy bait robbing scroungers. I'd like to have a dime for every time I've had a nice lively creek chub killed by those critters while targeting flathead cat. If we did manage to catch one it would also 'mysteriously die' prior to release. Mazonia (Monster, Carp/Gar, Bass, Bullhead) has tons of them-catch them all and fertilize your garden with them!
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Re: gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBidness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekyknees
fresh dead or dying minnow on a circle hook a foot or so under a float works kinda well.

Chicken liver in a piece of old nylons/pantihose also works.

so does using your favorite all time topwater or minnow bait, well at least as far as getting a hit. in that case you can kiss the lure goodbye.
Norm, so it seems you have some experience catching them as well... did you catch them unintentionally like local... or were you targeting them
intentionally targeting them. I have no problem with gar being in the river, they are a necessary part of the system. Any I catch are released unharmed. In some stretches of the river they have filled the niche the pike once had. Unfortunately due to lack of spawing areas the pike population is very much reduced. the gar play a valuable role in maintaining healthy populations of other fish species.
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to DaBidness
Default Re: gar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBidness
Quote:
fresh dead or dying minnow on a circle hook a foot or so under a float works kinda well.

Chicken liver in a piece of old nylons/pantihose also works.

so does using your favorite all time topwater or minnow bait, well at least as far as getting a hit. in that case you can kiss the lure goodbye.
Norm, so it seems you have some experience catching them as well... did you catch them unintentionally like local... or were you targeting them
intentionally targeting them. I have no problem with gar being in the river, they are a necessary part of the system. Any I catch are released unharmed. In some stretches of the river they have filled the niche the pike once had. Unfortunately due to lack of spawing areas the pike population is very much reduced. the gar play a valuable role in maintaining healthy populations of other fish species.
Good insight... i can definitely see the need for balance & cross-checks throughout the ecosystem.

you're able to release yours... i wonder why some say they smell bad or die instantly... never heard anything like that before
DaBidness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

I would submit that the reason many die are for from the way an angler handles them. They are rather snake like and not as easy to hang onto like a lipped bass.
I enjoy catching them on the flyfod as its quite challenging to get a larger one to hand! Sometimes they are the only game playing, so id rather catch em then catch nothing.
As far as smelling bad, i beleive it has to do with their habitat as they usually spend most of the time in slack, slow moving water allowing more foul smelling bacteria to come in contact with the slime coat.
They are very tasty to eat if you can learn how to clean em, the "backstraps" are excellent!
With the severe decline of our beloved Smallmouth in the last 3 years, the "rough" fish, and possibly Largemouth may becoming the only game in the river in the near future. Think about it! I personaly see the writing on the wall. How about you guys???
k3flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3flyguy
I would submit that the reason many die are for from the way an angler handles them. They are rather snake like and not as easy to hang onto like a lipped bass.
I enjoy catching them on the flyfod as its quite challenging to get a larger one to hand! Sometimes they are the only game playing, so id rather catch em then catch nothing.
As far as smelling bad, i beleive it has to do with their habitat as they usually spend most of the time in slack, slow moving water allowing more foul smelling bacteria to come in contact with the slime coat.
They are very tasty to eat if you can learn how to clean em, the "backstraps" are excellent!
With the severe decline of our beloved Smallmouth in the last 3 years, the "rough" fish, and possibly Largemouth may becoming the only game in the river in the near future. Think about it! I personaly see the writing on the wall. How about you guys???
have yet to experience the smell as each i've hooked up with has gotten off just before shore... But, i also heard they taste excellent.. Somebody told me they taste like a cross between chicken & catfish & when fried up taste glorious

youtube has some good vids on how to clean them... seems like once u either hack or saw under the back fin... u can basically get the whole slab of meat from within...& once u take it out the casing remove the guts
Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

my first run in with a 3k gar was below wilmington dam, sneaker wading in shorts. that fish ran 30" and nearly tore up my lower unit. also found myself in a school near prairie creek the DCA. vile critters that will test the bests anglers wits. rather catch northern...
crayphish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayphish
my first run in with a 3k gar was below wilmington dam, sneaker wading in shorts. that fish ran 30" and nearly tore up my lower unit. also found myself in a school near prairie creek the DCA. vile critters that will test the bests anglers wits. rather catch northern...
you've got to be joking... it attacked you?
I've been in the water in shorts & sneaker wading all the time... right next to large specimens of Gar, & they've never once acted aggressive

Now i've actually heard of big northern's in wisconsin & minnesota attack waders & swimmers

Not sure how comfortable i would feel in the water with 40inch plus northerns around, but those would be few & far between in the Kank, which is why i guess i wade worry free
Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

it was as much my fault as the fish's. i was fumbling around trying to get my needle nose out and the thing tried to swim between my legs.
crayphish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

they usually die instantly when the baseball bat hits them.
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in