First Time out - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Time out

I finally made it out to the state park for the first time this year and I avoided the skunk. I started throwing bright colored crankbaits in the morning and landed 3 smallies between 13"-16". I used the bright colors to combat the water clarity that resembles the toilet after a night of heavy drinking and white castle!! Closer to noon I switched to drifting shiners and landed another smallmouth around 16" but the belly on this one looked like she swallowed a baseball. After that I was bitten off by what Im guessing was a gar. Does anyone use any type of leader to prevent bite offs or is it not that common? It only happens to me once in a while and its always been on live bait. Anyway I would have loved to stay and fish all day but me toes and parts of my feet were so numb they were starting to refuse to cooperate with me. By the way both crankbaits were donated to the river but only until the water clears up considerably, then Im taking them back.

Good fishing to all!!https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...92338ca5b07c7#
JC tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: First Time out

it seems like the river is improving this year, i think its cause we havint had 100 inches of rain to flood everything out. Hopefully this rain holds off today and tonite and POSSIBLY get a good spawn in this year and next year will be better. I had a really good day to last wednesday, was drifting shiners and cought 3 right in a row,in only about 1 hour of fishing. Shiners is the way to go right now. Couldent buy a bite on a crankbait. But either way it seems the ole K3 is off to a good start...
greenheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Shiners is the way to go right now. Couldent buy a bite on a crankbait.
Live bait is always a good back up plan. Haulin minnows can slow you down but they can also get you fish. Have seen it both ways. Some times it's their mood, they just won't chase, sometimes they may have been already fished and won't touch an artificial but won't hesitate to hit "real meat" When they won't hit the artificials but you get them on the minnows, your glad you brought them. When you get them on the artificials and you don't need or use the minows, it's seems like a waste of time and effort. A lot depends on how much time you have to fish and experiment and how much time you you have and how much moving around / ground you are going to cover. Fishing with live bait is usually slower to cover the same amount of water. It's usually about time management and accessibility. If your using a boat to fish from or get to your spots, it's easy & convient, I usually always have bait. If I have to travel far on foot and I hope to hit many spots, minnows usually get left behind. If I just plan to fish one spot or general area and plan to fish for a while and it's spring time, I usually bring minnows. The great thing about having live bait for an option is you learn so much more about fishing. You don't have to use the bait and an awful lot of the times fishing with artificials is more productive but it is amazing how many times You fish through a good spot, try everything and can't get a bite or only scratch one or two fish, then fish through the same water with the right live bait and catch a bunch of fish. With out the live bait you would not have even kwon there were fish there and biting. Or on a day when the river is crowded and every one of your favorite holes have been or are being pounded with every kind of artificial and picking off the aggressive fish you can follow right behind and get those neutral or spooked fish with the right live bait and in the spring, minnows are usually it. As far as them not biting recently on crank baits, I have fished almost every day on the river for the past two weeks and I have yet to be skunked using various small crank baits. Haven't been tearing them up but anywhere from 3 to 9 or 10 smallies, most from 10" to 14" with a few nicer fish thrown in, all on small crank baits - you just never know.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Absolutely true about those minnows slowing you down. Most of the time I'm happy to have them but the drift bucket can be a pain while wading especially crossing areas of considerable current. It's a nice option when fishing into mid afternoon with high skies when they seem a little more hesitant to chase artificials. Also I always end up with a bigger variety of fish including some rough fish which I don't mind a bit.
JC tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in