6-22 report - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6-22 report

As expected, the river is up and murky. I fished two spots, a creek and a backwater area with lilly pads. Both were good, with smallies at the creek and good largemouth at the backwaters (only saw one dink caught, rest looked to be good size!

cranks and topwaters for the largemouth, and plastics were working for the smallies.

I did however, have two bite offs! lost a 2/0 hook and bass fluke and a black and blue jig with crawler. Both times I saw the belly of the fish as it hit the lure and rolled back down! Talk about an adrenaline rush! The jig it hit immediately, then in a different spot, I missed about 3 times on the fluke until it took it on number four.
So, quick question. Pike and Walleye aren't as abundant as the bass, so I rarely target them and use a leader. Is there any way to combat this? If I up the strength on the braid maybe? Still think it would be bit off, but wondering...its been over 10 years since I landed a Pike (yes, the last one was on the K3) and its definitely on my top 3 to catch list this season!
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 6-22 report

cortland toothy critter might help. it's supposed to be a tie able steel leader. never used the stuff, just talked to a guy on the river about once.
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: 6-22 report

Thanks for the suggestion. Well, been trying to fish whenever I can while I am off, especially since I am headed back to work monday. Debated going tubing at Mazonia or back to the river. I had been doing so good at the K3, thats where I headed this morning, from about 630-9.

Now, I went out late morning/early afternoon yesterday, got one Smallie at one location, and two really nice largemouth at the other. Tried one of those spots today (the other already had about 5 cars there before me) and couldnt even muster a bite!

Conditions changed ALOT since yesterday. water is up and much more stained than yesterday!
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in