Lack of Posts in K3 Section = :( - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lack of Posts in K3 Section = :(

I was introduced to the Kank about 5 years ago. From March-October of those 5 years, I'd be on CLF looking for daily fishing reports.

Things were great 5 years ago. Plenty of threads about the River conditions and how great fishing was.

And then it happened. About a year or two ago, I started reading how bad the K3 was getting... how fishing wasn't as great as it used to be 10-20 years ago. I thought to myself that there was no way the K3 could decline in fishing quality. The past 4 years have treated me well!!

And then this season started.. April came, and a few posts came up regarding the river.

May flew by, and with all the rain, again only a few posts with fishing conditions.

June and July has hit, and not a single fishing report was posted on here.

I plan on hitting the waters this weekend, but now i'm not so sure. I used to love this place, but I feel like it's slowly dying.

Can someone tell me I'm wrong?!?!?!?!
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lack of Posts in K3 Section = :(

Fish are there but not in the numbers they used to be. That doesn't mean you can't catch fish, big fish or have a good day, but reguardless of what any biologist may report, the numbers are not what they used to be. This is born out by fishing reports accross all the boards, forums. The only ones reporting good fishing on the river are those who have a vested financial interest, i.e. guides, publishers of news letters, and bait shops. You don't see regular reports in any forums about catches of numbers of fish or numbers of big fish. Several years in a row of severe flooding well into July have really hurt recruitment. I am not talking about just high water conditions, but flood conditions till well into the early summer - combind with siltation / loss of habitat, you can expect several years of tougher fishing on the Kank. The good thing is, biologist still report good numbers of smallies in the river. They are not claiming it is as good as it was several years ago and they admit to shocking fewer large fish, but they say the numbers of fish are still good. River populations always cycle, we have just had more than normal years in a row with out "ideal" spawning situations. As long as there are good populations, the numbers can bounce back. Although we are loosing habitat to siltation every year, there is still lots of good habitat and plenty of forage on the river. If we can get lucky and have a few good to excellent springs with good spawning followed by good river levels for recruitment, I am confident the river smallies will bounce right back. Even with the right conditions, you are looking at a couple, maybe several years before we can see the numbers on the river that we experienced just a few, 4-5 years ago when when 50 - 60+ fish days were common along with many 16"+ fish. I haven't really fished the river much this year, but what little I have been out, have been very difficult, dissapointing days. I was out to several spots last Friday in the State park and Wilmington. River conditions were very good. Water levels are up a bit from their summer lows, around 3000cfs flow Friday - you could wade to about any spot you wanted to get to. The higher water also made a little more water accessible for boat. Water clarity was decent, around 20" or knee deep in the main channels and crystal clear in the shallows. My results throwing various soft plastics, crank baits, buzzbaits and drifting live helgramights were dissapointing to me, 5 hrs, 4 smallmouths, 3 at 9 - 10" and one around 15", one 16" drum, and one 20" catfish. Way too much effort for the results gained. I've heard all the excuses. The river has changed, the fish have changed, and we need to change. I don't buy it. I know good fish habitat when I see it, Fish still use current breaks and cover to set up and feed, I know how to read the water and when artificials aren't producing I know how to find and use the best natural baits on the river - soft shell crayfish and helgramights and 5 years ago I spent as much time hunting for bait as I did fishing - not because the bait wasn't plentiful but because the catch rates were so high. Now an hours worth of hunting bait will last a months worth of fishing. I'll continue to hit the river from time to time, but its hard to justify the effort, hoping for a good day with good strip pit fishing so close by. Good luck too all. I anxiously look forward to good reports on the river, except from creekykness, his don't count because he knows most of the smallies personally
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya know, reports are nice to get an idea of what's happening but I have learned over the years to just go out consistently
and make things happen. By going out a lot, you will be out there on those days when the conditions are perfect and also on the days that are skunkers. You basically increase your odds by just fishing alot and you learn alot too. There are so many variables day to day with barometric pressure....wind....clouds, you just never know until you get out there.

I fish a stretch of the Des Plaines river and rarely see a soul....and I'm catching northern pike in Illinois right in the Chicago area. Still blows my mind every time I catch one. I just keep heading out there whenever I get a chance.

Bottom line....fish as often as you can.
bigcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Once again I don't get it.
A post complaining about no posts.
Someone that has made 23 posts on the Kank forum in 5 years.
Less than 5 posts/year.
I understand you just started fishing it 5 years ago but you can still post your results. what tried etc.
It may help someone else that is just starting.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I didn't post my trip last sunday because all i caught was a nice smallie and maybe two small ones in 8 hours of fishing. I did howver have fun with the cats and gar and (my first carp on a helgramite) Like local said I have helgramites in the aquarium because they were not eaten and this NEVER happends because the fish eat them first. Sad
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Geez, I hate users that always look at the post count for validity.

LocalYokal thank you for providing GREAT INFORMATION instead of criticizing me for not posting on here as often as some people do. What you posted is great information that I seem to have brushed off. Hopefully we get a few timid springs that Smallies can actually spawn and increase the wealth of the river.

I posted "a post regarding no post" because 5 years ago, I found this great forum, and read great threads from Localyokal or Creekiness and other good people regarding how great the river was. I'm not just talking about fishing conditions. I don't go to the Kankakee State Park just to fish, that's just one of the MANY things I enjoy down there.

I'm not looking for posts that reveal other fisherman's secret spots, or looking to find any information on what the fish is biting on. Not once have I asked for that information in any of my 56, now 57 posts.

I'm just looking for the excitement that I would get from reading how somebody just spent 5 hours on the river pulling bass after bass after bass. And like I said, those types of threads have died down.

Get off your **** high horse ED.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug11

Get off your **** high horse ED.
I said it general shug, besides as a moderator it's part of the job to look at post count.
And as owner of the site I have rarely been accused of being on a high horse.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I believe sedimentaion is a bigger problem than spring flooding. The river didn't just start flooding within the last 10 which is when I noticed a decline in smallies. However I have been doing well with minnows and liver for cats and even got my first top water smally of the year last week. Also I have caught alot more 12, 14 inch smallmouth this year than the last few so maybe we were just going through a downturn nature does run in cycles.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug11

:
bahhh-- You post some good questions shug- it's a good topic to bring up. You are correct in noticing a lack of reports for the Kank. That says something when reports across all the local forums on the Kank are down. Local nailed it- the fishing just isn't what it used to be. I stopped fishing there a couple years ago and won't go back unless it dramatically improves. Good fishing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sedimentation is covering up spawning areas and destroying rocky habitat critical to creatures like helgies and craws. It is also covering up soft bottoms critcal to beneficial types of weed growth that supports other types of forage, provided nursery areas for yoy fish and provided habitat for gamefish including smallmouth. The search for the perfect lawn leads to the introduction of fertilzer to the river which allows increased algal growth when the water level drops and clears like it is now. That not only affects the forage and predators but can severely limit your presentation options.

The increase in the duration and severity in flooding is due to more precipitation over the last few years and the buildup of sand/sediment in the river bed. There was a study that showed that the recruitment of yoy, age 1 and age 2 smallmouth was very negativitly impacted by high water events in the cold water months. That's all we have had lately. If you combine that with the impact of flooding on spawning success and survival of fry, it's not good.

40 fish days used to be an average day on the water with 80 plus days not uncommon. 20 to 25 fish days are good now.

You can still hit everything right and have one of those days over 80 fish and you can still catch some over 18 inches. As previously stated put in the time on the water. I'm lucky enough that I get over 200 days a year in account a very understanding wife, older kids and working 2cd shift. Howeever over the last few years, I've been putting more time in on creeks from here back to the old stomping grounds in Cook County. In part it's due to wanting to see different water after so many days on the same flow, partly due to a desire to fish without seeing anyone else[getting to be a crumudgeon], increasing amounts of folks on the river[crumudgeon again], the down turn in fishing on the river and being sickened by the increasing amounts of sand.

If you want to fish and love the area, don't depend on reports, just get out and do it.

BTW, I don't know every fish personally but I prolly know most of them.
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in