ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Bowfin hunt - returning to the scene

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jackson 
#1 ·
Ever since catching my first bowfin a couple weeks ago, I have been somewhat obsessed with catching another. This past Sunday, I had the morning free so I left the house at o-dark-thirty and headed to the spot where I got my last one. For the first fifteen minutes, there was plenty of activity. I could see them swirl as they created a wake under the thick algae blooms. Although it missed it's mark, I even got one to strike. This left me with with a LOT of hope for the day.

For the next 5 hours, I fished the water like a man on a mission. I worked top water baits in every possible combination, every speed, every pattern. Results? Zero

As I was getting ready to leave, I made one cast over some huge reeds into water that was invisible to me. I heard the frog land - I let it sit, gave it a twitch, heard a commotion, felt a tug, and set the hook! The winning lure was a Live Target 5/8oz yellow frog. These things are so realistic looking and I have had more consistent success with them than any other brand of hollow body frog. I know, I know....where's the picture of the catch?!

Well before I get there, let me finish the story....Last time I hooked up with a bowfin, I learned all about the strength and disposition of this fish. Knowing that I had that on the other end of the line, I set the hook like I was fishing for muskies. Imagine my surprise when the end of the line came flying through the weeds and splashed into the water ten feet to the opposite side of me!! Must have been a small bowfin, huh?!

Like I was saying before, those Live Target frogs look so real.....

....that even the frogs will eat 'em

See less See more
#4 ·
Well I'm glad you got one the first time you went to the place I told you about at least. I didn't get any my first two trips. I was there Saturday but only got a 16" bass. Some days there isn't so much floating vegetation and you can work other lures besides hollow belly frogs, but you never know until you get there. Its weird, some days they just turn on. I hooked up with 8 last July 18th. I forgot to tell you to use a wire leader, I had 2 bite-offs that day.

I may hit it again this weekend since I'll be in the area fishing that new Rookery that just opened...

#5 ·
The bowfin will pounce on cutbait...just so you know. At least at the creek I go to. I mean, like non-stop catch as many as you want. I've only caught two bowfin using actual lures/spinners etc. I use a Team Catfish 5/0 cicle hook with it...just set it up like you're throwin a catline out there.

#8 ·
Lol! Had the same happen with a rage tail plastic frog! I have only seen one bowfish caught, and that was in a backwater area similar to what you are describing. I think they had a nightcrawler as bait. Put up one hell of a fight, just never thought there were enough numbers there to target them specifically. Might have to check it out again this weekend. Good luck!

#13 ·
BrookfieldAngler said:
Darkstar72 said:
There's a YouTube video for the show Facts of Fishing where the host is showing a Live Target frog and it gets eaten by another frog. I haven't fished mine yet but if it just catches frogs maybe I won't. ;)

I caught this later in a different place

Hehehe...I was kidding but thanks for posting proof that bass DO eat 'em Brookfield!

Nice fish! I'll bet it came up under the weeds like a truck! I've had a few misses on my frog and it startles the heck outta me every time.

#17 ·
I caught my first bowfin on Sept. 17, and just like you I can't wait to catch another. Damn right powerfull and mean fish. I am going to just continue to fish for bass and pike on the DesPlaines in the general area and hope to tie into another one by chance. I do not know enough about them to target them specifically, but I do know that they are a predator and will strike artificail lures. First time posting a pic, hope it works.
[album]http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff457/dkearney1/[/album]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.