Bowfin hunt - returning to the scene - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bowfin hunt - returning to the scene

Ever since catching my first bowfin a couple weeks ago, I have been somewhat obsessed with catching another. This past Sunday, I had the morning free so I left the house at o-dark-thirty and headed to the spot where I got my last one. For the first fifteen minutes, there was plenty of activity. I could see them swirl as they created a wake under the thick algae blooms. Although it missed it's mark, I even got one to strike. This left me with with a LOT of hope for the day.

For the next 5 hours, I fished the water like a man on a mission. I worked top water baits in every possible combination, every speed, every pattern. Results? Zero

As I was getting ready to leave, I made one cast over some huge reeds into water that was invisible to me. I heard the frog land - I let it sit, gave it a twitch, heard a commotion, felt a tug, and set the hook! The winning lure was a Live Target 5/8oz yellow frog. These things are so realistic looking and I have had more consistent success with them than any other brand of hollow body frog. I know, I know....where's the picture of the catch?!

Well before I get there, let me finish the story....Last time I hooked up with a bowfin, I learned all about the strength and disposition of this fish. Knowing that I had that on the other end of the line, I set the hook like I was fishing for muskies. Imagine my surprise when the end of the line came flying through the weeds and splashed into the water ten feet to the opposite side of me!! Must have been a small bowfin, huh?!

Like I was saying before, those Live Target frogs look so real.....

....that even the frogs will eat 'em
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bowfin hunt - returning to the scene

Did you put a big hook in the frog and cast him back out?
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterman
Did you put a big hook in the frog and cast him back out?
Nope...I can't say that I didn't think about for a while, though!
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I'm glad you got one the first time you went to the place I told you about at least. I didn't get any my first two trips. I was there Saturday but only got a 16" bass. Some days there isn't so much floating vegetation and you can work other lures besides hollow belly frogs, but you never know until you get there. Its weird, some days they just turn on. I hooked up with 8 last July 18th. I forgot to tell you to use a wire leader, I had 2 bite-offs that day.

I may hit it again this weekend since I'll be in the area fishing that new Rookery that just opened...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

The bowfin will pounce on cutbait...just so you know. At least at the creek I go to. I mean, like non-stop catch as many as you want. I've only caught two bowfin using actual lures/spinners etc. I use a Team Catfish 5/0 cicle hook with it...just set it up like you're throwin a catline out there.
ryguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you saw the water I was fishing, you would understand why I was throwing a frog
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shoulda smacked Kermit on the head and fried him up crispy
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lol! Had the same happen with a rage tail plastic frog! I have only seen one bowfish caught, and that was in a backwater area similar to what you are describing. I think they had a nightcrawler as bait. Put up one **** of a fight, just never thought there were enough numbers there to target them specifically. Might have to check it out again this weekend. Good luck!
The Bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

There's a YouTube video for the show Facts of Fishing where the host is showing a Live Target frog and it gets eaten by another frog. I haven't fished mine yet but if it just catches frogs maybe I won't.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar72
There's a YouTube video for the show Facts of Fishing where the host is showing a Live Target frog and it gets eaten by another frog. I haven't fished mine yet but if it just catches frogs maybe I won't.

I caught this later in a different place

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in