Des Plaines Wildlife Launch - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Des Plaines Wildlife Launch

Hello All,

I am new to the area (lived up North in Fox Lake and relocated to Darien, IL). I was looking at the Des Plaines wildlife area as a possible launch site for my boat but couldn't find much information about it. I want to offer my apologies in advice if this question has been answered before.

I have a bass tracker jon boat that is 15' long (the one sold at bass pro with the live well). The boat has a 5hp briggs outboard (the air cooled lawn motor engine).

Would the combination above be good enough for the Kankakee launch out of Des Plaines wildlife area? Every time I have been over there I have seen boats with bigger motors and I don't want to die because the boat is not proper for the river.

Any advice, guidance, etc... Last year I spent most of my time on the Electric only lakes in Cook County and found the fishing to be horrible. I am told that the K3 river is a great place to go fishing.
MPeGGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Des Plaines Wildlife Launch

fish the area all the time...dont know if the launch is open now but if you need info, i know some spots
nitro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

pretty sure des plains is closed till the end of phesant season. Might try 3 rivers, or big basin

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRV

You'll be able to go west quite a distance from the launch. I don't know how fast you can go trying to get back to the launch against the current with a 5 hp motor. The water gets very shallow and rocky going east from the launch and you won't get far.
SRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2002
fish the area all the time...dont know if the launch is open now but if you need info, i know some spots
Good Stuff. I already winterized the motor and put it in the closet (garage gets horribly cold during the winter). After the snow thaws this spring
we should get together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRV
You'll be able to go west quite a distance from the launch. I don't know how fast you can go trying to get back to the launch against the current with a 5 hp motor. The water gets very shallow and rocky going east from the launch and you won't get far.
So do you think I need a bigger motor? I have been kicking the idea of selling my 5hp on craigslist come spring. I read something about a 10hp limit on the backwaters, do you think a 10hp outboard would be worth upgrading to?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

10 hp is good you can use it on shabbona too.
nitro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you guys think the 5hp will be enough until I can scrap enough money together to buy a 10hp??
Old 12-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

It would not be a bad idea to attempt to see your 5 hp here on CLF. If you sell it you can then hit the fishing shows and boat shows looking for a good deal. But 10 hp is the way to go.
Honest Mistake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in