Kankakee River fishing spots? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kankakee River fishing spots?

I am looking for any info on fishing spots around 55 and the Kankakee river for smallmouth fishing. I am new to fishing the river and looking for any help. Thanks.
Bigdadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Kankakee River fishing spots?

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... bearer.pdf
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PD ... nkakee.pdf

Desplaines river access
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... dspmap.pdf
I have used the hunting maps for reference as they show a little more detail.
Kankakee River – DesPlaines Conservation Area
Reference map on attached link
• Areas 30, 27, boat launch up to railroad bridge have very limited wading opportunities – mostly bank and boat fishing.
• Area from above Railroad bridge up stream to Miliken Lake offer wading opportunities with water getting shallower as you proceed upstream from the railroad bridge until you reach Prairie Creek. Public access is all on the north side of the river.
• Access below I-55
o Follow road to boat launch, park in Picnic area parking lot by restrooms and follow path upstream. River becomes wadeable as you proceed upstream from RR bridge. The farther upstream you go from the bridge, the farther out you can wade.
o First trap range – nearest Interstate 55. Park in parking lot, cross over river road, look for paths and follow to river
• Access above I-55
o First turn-in on River Road east Of I-55. Park by gate, follow path to river
o Prairie creek / Miliken Lake. Turn into Miliken Lake off River Road. Park along Prairie Creek or park in parking areas at Miliken Lake – follow paths to River. Water gets deeper as you proceed upstream or out from Prairie Creek
Kankakee River – Wilmington area
• Wilmington North & South Island Parks. All access is in parks on east side of river. Park in Parks in parking areas along river. No wading only in millrace – shore fishing. Wading opportunities on the river from dam downstream to Mud Turtle Island ( large Island downstream from RR Bridge). Use extreme caution around dam! DO NOT WADE TO DAM! Down stream of the North Island Park, Forked Creek enters on the east side of river downstream from the RR Bridge. Deep areas begin on west side of river across from Forked creek. You can wade down past the Island on the east side of the river

Kankakee River State Park
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/hu ... bearer.pdf
Reference map on attached link
Parts of the entire Kankakee State Park are wadeable with stretches of deeper, non wadeable water on both sides of the river. There are access points on both sides of the river throughout the State Park. In General, the deeper stretches are downstream near the boat launch , but there is deeper , unwadeable stretches through the park.
Access below the County Line RD ( Warner Bridge)
• Rt 102 – north / east side of river.
o Park in designated parking areas along rt 102. Follow blacktop bike trail and look for paths leading down to river
o Park in campground visitor parking lot. Walk through campgrounds to river and look for paths to river
o Access to canoe launch at Warner bridge on east side of river
• Rt 113 – south / west side of river
o Boat launch near area 9. Mostly deeper non wadeing water here. Need to walk up stream till water becomes wadeable
o Hunting area parking lots – although there are access points from these parking areas, they become quickly hidden as the vegetation grows in, but there are numerous paths off the horse trails leading down to the river. The exception is hunting area # 7 which has fairly close access to the river – follow trail out of parking lot to river. There are also several paths along the horse trail leading to the river in this area. Thes ares are indicated by a dotted red line on the attached map.
Access above the County Line RD ( Warner Bridge)
• Rt 113 – south / west side of river.
o Fisherman’s parking lot, on west side of river right near bridge. Wade upstream along river.
o Hunting area parking lots, one access along horse trail, brings you to the west side of the river across from Rock creek. From here you can follow the horse trail upstream and downstream for many access point to the river
o Hunting area 2. Follow road down to river to trap range. Access to river from trap range parking lot and downstream access along horse trail.
• Rt 102 – north / east side of river.
o Access to canoe launch at Warner bridge on east side of river. Follow blacktop bike path upstream and follow paths to river access points or wade upstream along river
o State Park – Rock creek concession building. Access paths to rock creek, follow / wade creek to river. Caution! Swift water area in river.
o Follow bike path downstream. Follow paths off bike path to river.
o Main Park area up to Island View parking lot. Park in designated parking areas. Walk to river – many access points from parking lots and bike path.
Many more public access points upstream for you to discover on your own, but this should get you starte. Remember to always respect the river and the water. Not many do it, but it is always a good idea to wear a Personal Floatation Device when wading until you become knowledgeable of the area you are fishing. As grindstone also pointed out, it is always a good idea to check with one of the river gage sites to find out what the river elevation and flow is. This will help you to learn when it is safe to wade and where you can safely wade for the current river conditions. Good luck and be sure to post your experiences and share with others.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow, great info! thanks!
Bigdadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to quick4x4

there is also the Rivals Park ..... more or less in Richie ....... nice little park ...... has a small boat launch and offers shore fishing and actually has very few people that use it. It is more or less straight accross the river from Custer Park.
quick4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone know if the DesPlaines Conservation ramp is open?
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Danpat1983

It's always open. Just no dock in the water yet. No problem though as there is some soft ground to nose into a few feet off.
Danpat1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. Wasn't sure. I hate paying the $12 at Big Basin.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Danpat wrote
Quote:
It's always open. Just no dock in the water yet. No problem though as there is some soft ground to nose into a few feet off.
It is not always open. It is closed from the start of the pheasant season till they re-open it in the spring. Access to the ramp is blocked until they re-open it in the spring. They are usually quite late getting the ramp re-opened as they usually wait until the threat of spring flooding is over. With things the way they are this year they may have it open. If I get a chance, I will drive over , check, and report later would hate to see someone drive down for nothing because someone reported it was always open.
localyokal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

The ramp is open I was out there yesterday and there were a dozen or so trucks and trailers in the lot
skberta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Danpat1983

I have launched there about 5 times since mid February so it has been open a while. Are you sure they close it for pheasant season, as I know I was there in late November as well and remembered to observe distance from blinds.
Danpat1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in