7/30/12 slow - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7/30/12 slow

Got my lazy butt up and went out early (06:00) this morning. 3 or 4 little baby smallies and the two pictured below. Same MO; paddle shad skipped on surface near boulder boil/shallow shoal/deeper hole. I've been reporting that the color of the Flappin Shad was pearl shad. The color is actually crystal shad. Best smallie to date this morning: probably 16" and a solid 2 lbs? If you get one stay put and work it. Once you find a minnow/shad/shiner/chub ambush point they'll be more than one smallie around. As you can see by the pics these 2 were caught in the same locale.

slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 7/30/12 slow

I fished I-55 up to the creek near Miliken lake from 7am til noon on Sunday. I've never waded this section before, but, I figured with the low water I should give it a shot. I also left my fly gear in the car and opted for the spinning rod. Unfortunately, I had tacken some of my stuff out of my little wading pack the last time I went to heidecke, so I didn't have my usual assortment of jigging plastics.

My first fish was a 3 or 4 lb sheephead on a Cabela's knockoff of a Rebel craw in a deep pool near the shoreline. It was cool watching this fish track the bait down and slam it. It didn't put up much of a fight though. I got a nice 16" - 17" smallie on a Bomber near the bridge. I also picked up a couple dink smallies and a decent LMB near the bridge as well. Then, I fished upstream to the creek. I only managed one more smallie on a jig tipped with a large plastic helgie (the only plastics I had in my bag). I lost a couple more in a deeper hole near the creek mouth. The creek was almost dried up.

I was hoping to find some wallies that I heard rumors of. Not this time, maybe next.
LetsGoFishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

The paddle shad hit while it skipped on the surface is your first BIG clue. I have rediscovered some "old school" lures and this year i have had great success with poppers. Believe me, you back there with a popper (there are many on the market) like a Hula Popper....you'll be blown away with more smallmouth. Bass can't resist them.
Let me know how it goes!!!
bigcarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to DaBidness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcarp
The paddle shad hit while it skipped on the surface is your first BIG clue. I have rediscovered some "old school" lures and this year i have had great success with poppers. Believe me, you back there with a popper (there are many on the market) like a Hula Popper....you'll be blown away with more smallmouth. Bass can't resist them.
Let me know how it goes!!!
I love the hula popper! tried my first one this summer... picked one up from Frank's Baits in momence
hesitation... intermittent jerk, which creates a huge splash & popping sound... twitch... smallies would come up and nail it... love that lure... showed me an entirely different technique that was foreign to me.
DaBidness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in