9/14 Report - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9/14 Report

Fished in the State park today from 9:30 til about 12:30, downstream of Warner bridge. Water level was seasonable, clear and the temp is dropping. The only thing thats a bit of a hassle is the floating weeds. I landed about 15 fish today, but most were in 8-10" range with the best being 14" and a handful in the 12-13" range. I was using fly gear and almost all the fish went for a olive/white clouser. I had been out last week in the same area and the fishing was pretty good then as well.
chfscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 9/14 Report

Hey chfscott I'm guessing your swinging that clouser. I don't know if you have tried it yet or not but one of the best methods I've used to combat the crud and in generl is to cast a thinmint or a rust or brown colored weighted bunny strip quartered up river and let dead drift back towards you maybe once in a while mend and strip to keep your line from getting sloppy. Look for the prime spots and make at the most 30' casts. Just try to hop that fly along the bottom. Your clouser should work also if in a pinch. The BOTTOM is important. You may get hung up a lot in the beginning but eventually you'll get a feel for where the fly is in the water column. This has been my deadliest method for smallies in the river. Good luck.
moosh08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips, I do enjoy trying new techniques and flies. I'm not sure what a thinmint fly is, but I'll look it up. As for the bunny strip you mentioned I'm assuming thats just a bunny leach type fly w/ a bunny strip palmered over the hook shank? Thanks again for the ideas and input.
chfscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thinmint is a woolybugger. Use one marabou feather each from rust or dark orange , black and brown for the tail ( three different colored tail) with maybe a couple of strands of gold flashabou. The body is about 8-10 strands of peacock herl which you can tie to the shank then twist it till it becomes like a rope, I also tie in a piece of copper wire to wrap everything at the end to make it bomb proof. Use brown or tan feather wrapped down the herl. I also usually use a tungsten 5/32 bead head as the weight. It is one of the simplest and best crayfish imitations I've found and works on most waters. should be 21/2-3 inches when done. The other fly is super simple and can be swung or hopped. 5/32 tung bead then tie the rust or brown barred rabbit strip to the hook shank like a honker with a few strands of gold flashabou also right behind the head tie in some saddle hackle same color and give it about 3-4 wraps right at the head and that's all she wrote. The whole fly should come out to about 3-31/2 inches when done. Fish this baby anyway you want its versatile no sinking line necessary just floating and a 6-8 ft leader. Oh yeah, Try purple over white clouser some with gold flash some with silver.
moosh08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in