10/07/12 Report - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 10/07/12 Report

It's been a long time since I posted anything, but that's what kids and work will do to you. Hardly ever fish that much.

I did want to make this the fall where I land my first King, but after a few outings of nothing, I got permission from the wifey to hit the river while we were visiting her family.

Found a great spot that has produced for me before, but this time, instead of catching a number of 6"-12" smallies, I was lucky enough to find a school of pigs. I never moved out of this spot during this 3 hour session. All fish came from about a 20yd x 20yd spot in deeper water, around 4-5 fow in between a few islands. I was standing downstream from this spot casting directly upstream and moving left or right to cover the area. The wind was pushing hard against the current so on one side you had the current flowing downstream and the wind pushing water the other way into a larger slackwater area, not sure if this makes sense. The money spot was the edge of where the two opposite currents met, I am a river novice, but maybe described as a large eddy? I don't know, but either way, this was my best fishing experience ever. Not just my best Kankakee River experience, the best fishing day in my life. Of the 30ish smallies I caught, I would say half of them were 16" plus fatties and a couple pushing 19" and 3.5-4lbs.... I had no idea this river could produce this kind of action.

Hit the water right after sunrise and started with a buzzbait. First cast hooked into a 12"er. Third cast, caught this 17"er.

Worst part of the day, as I was trying to take this picture, I noticed the rod tip had snapped off! You can see it in the picture. Probably from a previous fracture, but man was a I pissed. This was my favorite rod, 7" ML St. Croix Legend Extreme. So, for the rest of my outing, I was fishing with about 3/4 of my rod, snapped about 4 eyes down. Talk about bad luck, the last time I hit the Kank with my brother in-law, I had my rod in the back of his truck and when we got to the river, noticed it wasn't in the back. He called me an idiot and we went all the way back to go get it. I was 100% sure I put it in the back and sure enough, halfway down Herscher Blacktop, there it was, in the middle of the road. I use a rod cover and the wind must have just blew it out. My setup had been sitting out in the middle of the road for at least 30-40 min and was still intact. At least so I thought. I was amazed that the rod was not broken and since I use a padded reel cover, the reel looked ok. When we finally made it back to the river, I went to make my first cast when I finally realized the bail arm was severely bent and I couldn't move the bail arm of my Daiwa Fuego over the spool. I attempted to try to bend it back and the arm snapped. Still didn't stop me from fishing though, had to manually move the line the line line roller before each retrieve. Either way, two trips to the Kank and two pieces of equipment broken.

Good thing I was catching fish or else the day really would have been ruined.

Average Smallie

Little bit better

This one gave me a surprise as I went to unhook her, I little claw snapped at me. Had a half alive crawdad halfway down her gullet! These fishies were really feeding up! Still took my lure with a big ol crawdaddy in her mouth...

A little video of a landing after a good fight....

These pictures don't really do justice to the size of these smallies. Great day to be on the water. Most fish were taken using a 1/8oz jighead and plastic trailer. Didn't want the twisters or sassy shads that day or green, blue, white, or anything "lighter" in color. Helgies produced best, in a dark purpler color, no idea where I got them. I also used a black lizard and black/blue craw trailers. Casted upstream, let it fall to the bottom and let it sit there for about 10 seconds and just line watched or kept a finger on the line to detect a hit. If nothing then, just popped it up a little bit let it sit. Basically did that the whole way back.

I def. need to hit the river again a few more times before my season comes to an end. I pretty much give up shore fishing for trout/salmon.

Tight lines all!

EDIT: Sorry, but I am pretty sure I am doing it right, just copying and pasting the IMG link from Photobucket, but for some reason, it's not directly posting the pics on the post. Not sure why?
pchung3009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 10/07/12 Report

Man, I have had some troubles posting pics on here. I have done it before in the past so not sure what I am doing wrong here. The last few times I have had troubles.

Sorry if you can't see the pics, will try to edit it them....
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

As long as you highlight the URL and right click to Open Link then they will pop up. Great day of fishing. Were you wading or shore fishing? Fishing about by wilmington?
Wetwader78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
As long as you highlight the URL and right click to Open Link then they will pop up. Great day of fishing. Were you wading or shore fishing? Fishing about by wilmington?
Somewhere between Warner Bridge and Wilmington, that's about all I can say about that You can PM for a "little" more specifics.....it took many skunks and outings on the Kank before I found this sweet spot.

Wading......hard to find the good spots from shore. This summer the water levels were so far down, I was about to do some real good scouting on some spots. Happy to find one good honeyhole, now I'll probably spend another season trying to find another good spot. That river is huge compared to the Fox, much harder imo to fish vs. the Fox, especially when you are a rookie like me.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nicely done man, the kankakee can be a tough one. I have a few hot spots farther east towards Momence. One day you'll find 15"+ fish and the next you can't find one over 12" or any at all!!!

Same goes for the walleye, we'll stumble on them and you can pull them from the same hole for a couple weeks and then they are gone...nomad fish I guess.

The low water this year has been awesome for exploring and finding new holes...the water has been so clear and calm. We've had some awesome kayak trips but it looks like I might have to explore water farther west!

Bummer about the rod but the $50 to replace it doesn't seem so bad when it's a $300 rod, I can't stand replacing their lower end models as you're pretty much paying for half a new rod...

Tight lines,
41x9hirschj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

St. Croix have lifetime warranties. Contact their customer service and they will walk you through the replacement procedure.
Wetwader78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

CLF won't acept a photo if it can't tell the size of the image... Make sure you use the re-size feature on photobucket... They have to be 600 x 400, or whatever the option is that's close to that number... Then copy/paste the img link directly from photobucket... That takes all the guesswork oui...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice work. I was out the day after you, working the Davis Creek area and got the dreaded skunk. I'm sure the wicked cold front that came through that night didn't help matters, but it was some tough fishing.

I tried all the old standbys in the usual holes, but they were tight-lipped to say the least. There were a few other things I wanted to try, but I packed light and was unprepared.

I am surpirised to hear that you were able to let your bait hit the bottom. Where I was there were so many weeds, even in the deep holes, that my baits were getting fouled if I let them sink at all.

I'm going to try again tomorrow mid - day. I'll let you know what happens.
dacas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Another tough day today. Cool and windy, ultra clear water and blue bird skies made it real tough.

Waded the entire, and I do mean the entire, Warner Bridge area and only managed three small to medium sized smallies.

The fish were definitely relating to the deeper areas, but were very spread out. The bottom composition was a definite key, though. All came on a jig and minnow.

I think I'm shutting it down til spring. It was getting nippy out there with the breathable waders...
dacas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in