devil's hole.....true or false ? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default devil's hole.....true or false ?

I attended the Hammond Outdoor Show last weekend and met a couple of guys that had a great story about the river, that they had heard from their grandfather. "Back in the Day" when the indians lived along the river near the state park , the river was much narrower and there were many caves, as the years went by the river widen and filled up many of the caves, they said that there is a place called Devil's Hole [named by the indians] which is an underwater cave and each year people drown there because they get sucked into this cave and two weeks later the body pops up at Starved Rock on the illinois River ? I can't erase this story from my mind, so I thought I would put it up here.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: devil's hole.....true or false ?

THe underwater caves yes. Devils Hole, although I haven't seen it, it is there. Rumor is that there is a Steam Engine in the bottom. It is located somewhere around HUnting Blind 8
Fox_hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think most of the locals will confirm thar Devil's hole is for real. You would think that over time that some brave diver could venture down there and take a gander at a cave opening if its really there. Drowning victims are usually not all that familiar with that area and get a false sense of confidence while wading the shallows until they step off into the depths. I never heard about the steam engine. I have heard of walleyes stacking up in there to fill a caboose though.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've heard from several people that just south of Rock Creek is a cave opening where the water is siphoned off. At least two people said that has enough force to suck you down into the system, strong enough you can't get out ,which would explain why divers are reluctant to try and explore it. The stories I've heard all say bodies pop up 2 miles downstream from the hole.

The engine is news to me. But waters hold many mysteries. I know of some weird stuff in the Keys that just doesn't make any sense at all, I'm sure these midwest rivers have their own secrets.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

We should send Zack, Nick, and Aaron down there with SCUBA gear and an underwater spirit box.
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I stand corredcted, Devil's Hole is closer to Blinds 9 and 10. My Father-in-Law used to farm the Park Ground. And he could take me right to it. Supposedly the Steam Engine fell thru the Ice while hauling Bricks acrossed the river before any bridges were built.
Fox_hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats pretty crazy, Don't you think you would be able to see something if you had side imaging? I imagine there is quite a bit of interesting stuff at the bottom of all rivers and lakes. Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds beyond freaky. I'd hate to get sucked in.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

have done a little more research on the area, the Miami, Wynadottes, Illinois and Potawatomi were the principal tribes in that area. The "Last of the Mohicans" were a persecuted race and looking for asylum some came from the east and hid on the islands near the state park until their campfires went out forever, many of the islands were used as burial grounds for the tribes. I found no mention of "Devil's Hole" in my researching. not fishing information but interesting ?
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

From a book about the great lakes written in 1905.

this channel that of the Chicago drainage canal running from Lake Michigan to the I es Plaines River that of the new barge canal which will follow the line of the present Erie Canal from Buffalo to Savannah and the possible diversion by the canal that is to be built under the so called Love charter from La Salle to Devil's Hole in the gorge bolow Whirlpool Rapids and we have according to the estimates of the engineers a total diversion of water from the Great Lakes above the falls of about 67,400 cubic feet per second And there is the possibility of great power development on the Chicago drainage canal on the Illinois and Des Plaines rivers and on the Kankakee River in Indiana

A lot of water per second going in that hole.
Anybody know where it comes out?
What it means i don't know, but I would be willing to be sealed in a barrel and go for a ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in