Winning @ Wilmington 8/13/13 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to DaBidness
Default Winning @ Wilmington 8/13/13

Got out to Wilmington with my oldest brother yesterday around 4pm... Only my third time fishing Wilmington, first time wading that stretch of river. Entered off the north island, and waded clear across the middle... immediately working the opposite bank/weedline. Hook up with something that quickly comes unbuttoned. Join up with my brother who had entered a little further upstream. Casting downstream, just off a current break, i hook up with a nice smallie... She got out in the current and ran a bit of drag.. After a helluva fight on a medium light walleye rod, I took a quick measurement she measured in right at 18, immediately released. we decide to start working our way downstream (of the train tracks)..Just before we get there my brother ties into a fish that immediately gets out in the current and starts running out drag downstream. After working her in another nice fat smallie.. this one 19 inches w/ a nice girth. He said that was the biggest smallie he had ever caught. Fish released. We worked our way further downstream to explore a creek mouth, and some alleys just off a series of islands. Both of us hooked into several more bass but had some good ones that unfortunately came unbuttoned. However, with a mild cool day, great weather and sunshine, and the opportunity to explore a new stretch of this great river we enjoy... we couldn't help but feel like winners. All fish caught on Mepps Spinners. Sorry for no pics today, I'm always cautious carrying my phone when i'm wading new stretches or river, in case i step in a hole and fall in the drink.

Terrain i'd rate moderately more difficult downstream of the tracks than above it

Last edited by DaBidness; 08-14-2013 at 10:13 PM.
DaBidness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

yep, Kankakee has definitely been on these past few days..caught my biggest smallie also at 18" on top water..this morning caught a hefty 16" largemouth on topwater along with some healthy 12-14" smallies..this cooler weather is fantastic. forgot to add a 28" northern also....
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went out today and caught 4 more walleyes..All thick between 18-22 inches...I have never caught this many walleyes in the middle of August..Caught many small bass today also...I had a biteoff on a meeps #3 spinner, the fish missed it twice and when i set the hook on the third strike he bit me off..my guess is a gar or northern...but i have never caught a northern in wilmington in my 25 years of fishing this river..Most of my fish were on a Mepps#2 and roaches....What size Mepps were u using?
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
yep, Kankakee has definitely been on these past few days..caught my biggest smallie also at 18" on top water..this morning caught a hefty 16" largemouth on topwater along with some healthy 12-14" smallies..this cooler weather is fantastic. forgot to add a 28" northern also....
Great report! Can't forget the 28 inch Pike! That wouldve been the highlight of my report
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbasser View Post
I went out today and caught 4 more walleyes..All thick between 18-22 inches...I have never caught this many walleyes in the middle of August..Caught many small bass today also...I had a biteoff on a meeps #3 spinner, the fish missed it twice and when i set the hook on the third strike he bit me off..my guess is a gar or northern...but i have never caught a northern in wilmington in my 25 years of fishing this river..Most of my fish were on a Mepps#2 and roaches....What size Mepps were u using?
Excellent report! 4 walleyes in a single day, I'd say you were dialed in! All of ours were on number 4 spinners.. I've never broke off by a Gar but could be Pike or Gar. The times I've had biteoffs w Pike were with a #3 or smaller mepps w no liter. For some reason (& this could be pure luck) when I've used #4 or bigger I've been able to stick the lip and not get broke off on magna thin line w no litre. My guess would be Pike. I've heard reports of some big ones below the dam (big gar also)
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Caught 2 more horses today and a small one...thats 15 walleyes in three days from the same spot....im trying to figure out how to post some pics on here...but im not doing something right
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\2013-08-16\001.JPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in