Kankakee Flatheads Wilmington - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kankakee Flatheads Wilmington

Howdy everyone,

I am new back at this site and happy to be here. I have fished the kankakee on and off for the past 10 years. Almost always just fishing the shorlines and boat docks for smallies. Nothing serious, just wanted to relax and catch some bass every once in while.

But things have changed recently. I injured my leg not to long ago, So i've got alot of free time on my hands recently, and want to use it to try and catch some decent flatheads or any other decent catfish. I've been researching on the internet alot about them, and have picked up the line, leaders, hooks, swivels and sinkers i need for a carolina rig. That would be for the size of fish in the area I'm fishing.

My uncle lives off of cottage road in wilmington on the river across from to big islands there, sort of just east of the powerlines. Last saturday night. I went to his dock and caught 6-7 sunfish and used them for bait. I know a big tree is under water there near his dock in about 7 feet deep of water. I let the sunfish sit right on top of that tree and caught a 5lb. channel cat. Two hours later a really small flathead about 2-3lbs. It could not even fit the sunfish in it's mouth, and that was it for the evening because my unle was blasting techno music all night.

That's all I know about catching catfish specifically flatheads on the river there. One 2-3 pounder.

Does anyone fish in that area for catfish specifically around the islands or in the main channel where it gets to like 10'- 12' deep. Just wondering if fishing off the dock is a good spot or if there are better spots deeper or around the islands.

Thankyou much,

and Have a Cool Day!
xxxxxxxxrnickel17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

rnickle-
Are you using the bluegill live or as cutbait? A flatcat prefers live bait. Although the first one I ever caught was on chicken liver. And with the water this low if your Uncle lives near a 10-12 ft hole he is one lucky man. They will come out of their logjams/undercut banks/tree root balls at night to feed. If you get a serious flatcat in that tree he'll bury you in it and break you off. If available look for closest current-riffle to that hole and soak your bluegill there. Good luck- I Love Flatcat!
slimshady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Slimshady,

Thanks a mil man for your reply. I'm even more excited now to catch these cats. Yes I caught the sunfish during the day and I fish them live. Thanks for warning me about them diving into the jogjams and stuff once hooked. I'm going to have to work hard to keep them out of there.

Yes, at my uncles dock up against the sea wall it is about 3 feet deep. Then about 15 feet from the wall it dips to 7 feet deep and then about 30 feet out the main channel is about 10'-12' deep.

I don't have a depth finder or anything so I don't know how to locate the fish in the deeper water though. Like I said the only flathead I ever caught was saturday and that was like 2-lbs. Do you have any Idea what an average flathead size would be in the kankakee?

Thanks again man! And you have a great day!

rnickel17

Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you have 2 lines, I'd set one up shallow on a flat off the main current, near a jam, or riffle. They'll come up shallow and cruise the flats at night to feed as well. Have pulled some sizeable fish from less than 2' of water.
McChou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

4 years ago my friend cought aprox. #40 flathead up from I55. There is some bigger cats in there. Try to put 7-8 nightcrawlers on bigger cat hook. Live bluegill or bunch of worms is the best flathead bait for me. Good luck . Waiting for more reports.
musky7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Catfish Guide

I kinda have given up on the idea of myself really locating any flatheads. Does anyone know of any good Kankakee river guides that are familiar with fishing for flathead catffish. And if possible an estimation of rates.

Thanks a ton, and have a great day of fishing!

rnickel17

[email protected]
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been fishing down there for 10+ yrs and have only seen a few pulled out, most under 5lbs. I've seen 10-20lb fish buried in the log jams when it's clear like it is now but I've never really fished for them. You have the right idea, live sunnies or crawlers soaked in the deeper holes and log jams are your best bet but I just don't think a population of big flats are in the K3. I did hear of a 40lb fish caught where the Iroquois comes in at aroma park but never saw proof.

There are some monster channels in there though and plenty of other big predator fish so maybe downsize the sunnies a little (2-3") and keep after it, never know what you'll get,

Tight lines!
41x9hirschj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Kankakee River Temps

Thanks for the informartion man! I've been working alot lately so haven't got out much but was heading down this weekend. Does anyone know what the water temps are like right now on average in the river?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

The two biggest ones I caught I got on a nightcrawler piece on a 1/16th oz jig. I wasn't targeting them, though. I'd use live bluegills if I was targeting them.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Trouble Catching Bait

Been trying really hard to catch some bullheads for flathead fishing on the Kank but cant find any. I've tried pouring some cheese in the water to attract them but no luck. I know they have to be in there just dont know where,

I then directed my efforts towards sunfish, but they've become hook shy by my dock.

Anyone know of any decent spots to collect some numbers of bullheads or sunfish.

Sincerely,

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in