» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kankakee (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   k3 fishing (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88946)

bassboy15 08-30-2014 07:15 PM

Also is there enough tree/bridge clearance to have extra rod in my rod holder?

CatInTheBag 08-31-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboy15 (Post 574162)
Also is there enough tree/bridge clearance to have extra rod in my rod holder?

Well, my kayak has two rear holders that point the rods off to the sides about 45 degrees from flat. That would be ok, but a 6 foot rod in the straight up holder in the front may not clear so just hold it and go through.

Plus, I think there is only 1 bridge between Shell and Deselm Roads you would go under.

You are in for a treat so report back on how it went if you dont mind. But you better get on it before the water recedes too much. This would not be doable at the lowest levels in the summer.

One other thing. The section of the creek just downstream from Shell Road where you put in is a nice slow-moving carp run for a couple hundred hundred yards until the creek turns, drops a little and the current picks up. I never went for those carp, but you could try them with a carp fly.

Finally, I am not too sure of land owners. I always ran it without asking permission of the farmers etc., but never ran into trouble. I guess just respect their property and there would probably be no issues.

hipster78 09-01-2014 09:54 PM

QUOTE CatInTheBag

Further, the falls is not navigable except when flooding. So take out at Deselm Road

This is very dangerous because the canyon nature of the area leaves no room for error or recovery. Worse yet, it is near impossible to take out downstream by the river because it is running too fast. Instead, you will be thrust into dangerous conditions with the Devils Hole undertoe sucking like the Chicago Cubs. You stay in your raft and make for Warner Bridge, Thats where we took out. I will never do that again.

I canoed that stretch around the derby,(river level low 4s) a tough portage around the falls on slippery, steep rock but doable. Very fun, quick and tricky paddle. Took out easily on east side at mouth, if you aren't kissing the east bank you will end up in the river.

Devils hole is 1/2 mile above Rock creek not below.

Creekyknees 09-01-2014 10:11 PM

hole

rock hole is below rock creek. willow point rapids downstream from rock creek is no picnic in high water either.

CatInTheBag 09-02-2014 01:37 PM

Well, I always took out at Deselm Road because navigating below is no fun for me at least. Sure you can do it, but in my case wont do it again.

The reason is that it is no fun to walk the canoe or kayak in the choppy rock bottom of the creek in the canyon area during normal levels like when you were on it. But for the avoidance of doubt, in my earlier note, I was referring to Flash Flood conditions where the creek is so high, you don't even see the falls. The creek boils like downstream of Niagra falls. That we did in a raft; a canoe wouldn't stand a chance in those conditions; a kayak maybe for an expert. A little known fact is that Davis creek has a similar canyon area but not as extensive as rock creek. I have canoed that too and it is equally no fun from the Rangers house by Shell road to the river. It too boils in flash flod conditions and is equally dangerous, but there is no Devils hole waiting for you at the river.

As for Devils Hole, we usually refer to the hole as where the creek dives under the river. This is where the dangerous undertow is under higher water conditions. Since those unfamiliar with it have drowned there, it qualifies as a Devils Hole.