k3 fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default k3 fishing

River is dropping and clearing nicely. Swimming trunks, wading boots and a small waterproof tackle box kind of weather. Got out sunday 6-9pm, fished lower park. Waded out to islands. Flow made it a little dicey, had to do some back floating a couple of times. Threw various in-line spinners and larger crawdad imitating crankbaits. Spinners were more productive, fish were in the harder current not far from the break. Ended up with around 20, two around 17" the rest were all punks.(10"-13")
Monday 6:30-9pm, fished middle park. Waded a generally shallow stretch with heavy current. Concentrated around bigger rocks that affected or changed flow. Can definitely see a clarity change from yesterday. Threw various topwater baits and weighted creature style soft plastics. Noisier topwater seemed to work best. Landed around a dozen, one under 12", the rest 15"-18".
I know its summer, but most fish looked a little on the thin side. Two trips thru the woods and I've already found four ticks on me, beware.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

thanks for the report, going to get out this morning after work, calling for more rain Wednesday, don't need anymore rain for a while..hopefully i can add a good catch report to this later
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

fished from 7a-9a..7 total in the 12-14" range..3 on buzzbait and 4 on top water (walk the dog).caught in the faster current..river is dropping quick and yes, it is clearing up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice post, keep em comin! Do you prefer the morning bite over the evening?? Miles and miles of some of best smallmouth stream fishing in the state yet the KKK posts are near nonexistent.
Fished 5-9pm, middle park. Waded a half mile stretch of quick, shallow heavy willow w/ numerous breaks along the way. Threw strictly topwater, cross current retrieve drew the only bites. Landed first double of this year, two 15" bass on a single cast! Other than that the first 2.5 hours were slow, four fish and a couple good blowups. Lost a gunfish to a stupidass gar, there went 17 bucks.
Moved downstream a couple miles for a little deeper water, bite improved as the sun faded.
Picked up 5 more, 1 on top, 4 on a 4" skirted split tail grub.(15"-18") Tried a white buzzbait
w/trailer hook and got a few wiffs, I'm thinking they were smaller fish. Try running the dog instead of walking him, more of a reaction bite.

Even after taking apart, upgrading hooks & splitrings then gluing screws back in the bait this still happens?????
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

i work nights, so, yes, the morning bite is prefered and 90% of the time, i'm the only one out where i fish
Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

7/25
Fished 5-9:15pm, started in upper park. Water a little more stained than the day before. Fished bank and rockbars(above and below), front of riffles seemed to produce best. Fish were scattered, no real pattern.Threw plastics, spinners and silent square bill crank, spinner did the best with a few on plastics. Got around 12 with most under 13".

Moved to lower end of park around 7:45. Clarity was a little better four miles downstream.
Fished current breaks behind island and willow banks. Small hatch around 8:30 with fish taking advantage. Threw weighted plastics, variety of topwater and an xrap. Even with surface activity nothing on top, xrap got a couple and plastics after dark. Picked up another 8 from 13"-16". Should have stayed but my headlight was getting dim.

Last edited by hipster78; 07-26-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

nice
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

7/28
Fished lower park 12-9pm, starting to see moss on shallow rock mid river. Mainly fished deeper fast moving riffles. Bite was ok for smaller fish,(under 14") at least waist deep with the a broken surface produced best. Inline spinners, #3 & #5 countdown raps, and a weighted gulp minnow caught fish, Started to see a hatch around 6:30, loaded up and moved downstream a mile. The mayfly hatch kicked in high gear around 8 and so did the bite, above and below riffles was an all you can eat buffet, spinners and topwater worked. Mosquitos were bad even with the breeze.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

7/30
Fished mid park 7-9:45pm, concentrated above and below rockbars. Threw a variety of crankbaits, all caught fish. Quite a mixed bag, six walleye 11"-19",two cats and around 15 bass 13"-18". After dark the helgramites took to the air flying in and out of the water, you could here fish busting them in the darkness. Caught a big cat and a couple more bass and a few other blowups on a 1/4oz war eagle buzzbait in the dark. All fish after dark came in less than knee deep water.

[IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/hipster78/P7300020600x450_zps3c17995b.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

nice night

did extremely well with rattlebaits on bass and walleye on the evening bite last night. got a few on a spook
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in