Ok, now the river IS perfect! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ok, now the river IS perfect!

Ran the section from Youth Camping to the takeout point downstream of Warner Bridge again today in the A.M. I will say the fish were brutes and were fighting-mad today!

I took a break from Rebel Craws and used Z-Hog Craws and my ole classic - chartruse Mr Twisters.

Both killed and I hooked up 8 smallies and would you believe a giant pike that had other ideas.

The river is perfect - the mud has cleared, the weeds are gone, the water is fresh.

As I said before, this section of the river has so many fish you could walk on their backs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140830_094809.jpg (132.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140830_094739.jpg (136.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140830_085648-EFFECTS.jpg (167.2 KB, 72 views)
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice ones
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cat, when you are fishing out of your kayak do you drag anything to slow down your drift or do you just go with the flow of the current? What was that yellow thing across the river in your kayak picture?
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheBag View Post

Both killed and I hooked up 8 smallies and would you believe a giant pike that had other ideas.

As I said before, this section of the river has so many fish you could walk on their backs.
Glad to hear of your success! With fish that thick , it should be like shooting fish in a barrel, yet I hear of seasoned anglers this season getting their butts majorly kicked by the Kank.

Nice post. Love the kayak ones.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

That pic is from the put in spot at the Youth Campground just downstream of Davis Creek. The yellow object is a canoe that is probably moored there by the property owner across the river.

I dont drag anything, but I was talking to Austin who runs one of the Fly Guiding Services and he said that some flatboats do use a dragging thingee.

I cast as close to shore as possible, then retrieve slow trying to do what a craw would do. A friend and I went in a canoe a few weeks ago; he on the flyrod and I using spinning rod. I noticed he worked the helgrammite on the bottom. I was on the rebel craws. He kicked my ass and after thinking about it, I decided to go back to the soft craws and Twister tails and worked the bottom. Most fish have been hitting as soon as the craws hit the water or within 4 feed of the retrieve. Those bass are in about 1-2 feet of water and right next to shore. Who knew?!

I have some Yelp Crawbugs that I am itching to try tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonG View Post
Glad to hear of your success! With fish that thick , it should be like shooting fish in a barrel, yet I hear of seasoned anglers this season getting their butts majorly kicked by the Kank.

Nice post. Love the kayak ones.
Some days we were doing very well on the river east of Momence, others not so good...with the not-so-good holding the majority. When the river was low it was a lot easier. Now with the water up higher and the some of the backwater areas water-filled pretty good the fish are really spread out. Moving about with the boat is easier to be sure, but it takes many more casts to hook up a fish. Can't wait for the weather to cool off a bit and turn on the bite.
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Ron. I wonder if the Kayak has anything to do with it. I had less luck in a Grumman canoe a few weeks back and I must say, those canoes are noisy even if you try not to gun the oars.

The kayak is a silent runner.

Then again, after a few times now on the yak, switching to soft craws rigged texas style and dragging the bottom is making all the difference.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd say both the bait switch and the quiet kayak helped a lot.

In my younger day I used a Grumman aluminum canoe for fishing and hated it. I remember using it to chase monster carp in a reedy area of the Green Bay and it was useless because of being so noisy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in