ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Kankakee

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  hipster78 
#1 ·
8/27 and 29

River levels are at least a foot higher than what I would like to see going into the fall, and were on the rise this afternoon, clarity maybe 10". Catfished middle and lower park 10pm-1am both nights, used cutbait along secondary breaks. Bite wasn't bad, eight cats 5-8lbs, but my hooking % was poor. What do you catfisherman use hookwise for cutbait??

23" walleye on cut bait, thats a first.

three nasty bastards up to 34"

See less See more
#5 ·
9/7
Fished middle park 5:30-7:30pm. I haven't been on the river in a week due to high levels and poor visibility, water is dropping slowly and clarity is still less than 6". Concentrated in quicker current 2-4ft deep where there are large rocks that create a change in flow.
Used 1/8 and 3/16oz weighted hooks w/ various plastics, 4" skirted split tail grubs worked the best, dark in color. Fish were off the bank at least 25ft and short cross current casts were most productive. Ended up with nine fish 15"-18", the bite was better than I expected, but the levels make it a pretty rough wade.

#7 ·
Slim shady, I don't think any fish comparable in size puts up a fight like those brown guys!!

9/8
Fished middle park 6:30-8pm.(between Warner and Willow rapids) Worked numerous breaks created by patches of willow, threw a few diff crankbaits and some plastics. Got around six bites all on plastics in the faster water outside of the breaks. Landed one bass around 14",(just enough to burn the skunk!) and lost a walleye in the upper 20s while I was trying to grab it in the swift current. Conditions already suck but with heavy rains forecasted wed and thurs they will only get worse!

#10 ·
QUOTE Stonecat Fall might be a washout at this rate. It needs to quit raining, but then again it might keep away the hammertime bucket brigade.

Just make sure the bathtub is running good!! As much as I hate fishing out of a boat on the river, it may be the best option if the rain continues. At least we will be able to admire the minnow buckets and bobbers as you part the river in that barge.
ALLRIGHT STOP, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!

#11 ·
Just make sure the bathtub is running good!! As much as I hate fishing out of a boat on the river, it may be the best option if the rain continues. At least we will be able to admire the minnow buckets and bobbers as you part the river in that barge.
ALLRIGHT STOP, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _!
Hey it gets lonely standing on shore watching me go by. Maybe Buck will take pity. At this rate, it will be a complete blowout. Take weeks to come down and clear.

#12 ·
9/18
Fished with my pops 5:30-7:30pm, middle park. I concentrated in swifter current well outside of any breaks throwing a mix of different plastics and high vibration nonrattling crankbaits. I struggled, landing 8 punks all under 13". My old man fished slacker current inside of main breaks, he threw larger in line spinners. He ended up with around 15, with three over 17" and a crappie over 12". It doesn't happen often but the old man pretty much schooled me!

#15 ·
9/21

Fished upper and middle park,4:30-7pm. My last few trips out have been pitiful to say the least. Managed two fish today, a 12"er and 15"er. Pretty much threw the whole arsenal today, both fish came on a large Big O in heavier current. Clarity is poor but improving(12" max) and the levels are still high for this time of year. Going to northern MI for a week and hoping to see the river in better shape when I get back.

#16 ·
9/22
Catfished upper park 8-10:30pm. Started out fishing a current break in around 5ft of water ,1/2oz slip sinker and bluegills. Stayed on that spot 30 minutes and only managed one fish. Moved upstream into shallower water(less than 2ft) and faster current, focused tighter to the bank fishing in submerged tree roots and wood. That bite was much better, finished with eight fish 3-8lbs. All fish were released.

#19 ·
10/10

Fished upper park 5-6:15pm, tried three different areas with decent amount of slack water. Threw plastics, crankbaits and spinners, focusing in the slacker water and tight to the bank. No bites on anything in noncurrent areas or tight to the bank. Only fish came on a spinnerbait in hard current outside of willows. Clarity less than 6".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.