High Water Walleye - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors




Complete sponsor list
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Polish Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 325
Default High Water Walleye

Ar Dont let the high water and cool temps discourage you. Ive been getting walleye almost every night since the full moon. Big brightly colored swim jigs are the ticket. Paddle tails seem to outproduce twisters. Focus on creek mouths and slack water with rock and gravel bottoms. Don't be afraid to jig real tight to shore especially behind log jams. There are lots of eyes in the river now with 2 or 3 strong year classes. My partner caught 6 last night with the largest just under 27 inches. Put the time in and fish with confidence you'll get em. Big Stick Angling out!
__________________
I'd rather be fishing!
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hipster78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ktown
Posts: 693
Default

"the beach"?? any pics?
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Joe View Post
Ar Dont let the high water and cool temps discourage you. Ive been getting walleye almost every night since the full moon. Big brightly colored swim jigs are the ticket. Paddle tails seem to outproduce twisters. Focus on creek mouths and slack water with rock and gravel bottoms. Don't be afraid to jig real tight to shore especially behind log jams. There are lots of eyes in the river now with 2 or 3 strong year classes. My partner caught 6 last night with the largest just under 27 inches. Put the time in and fish with confidence you'll get em. Big Stick Angling out!

Dam Joe, take me fishing with you!
Genius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Polish Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 325
Default

I have several pics on my phone I'll gladly email them to someone to volunteer. I dont feel like doing the photobucket thing. Is there a way to upload pics I'm unaware of or is it still just photobucket. As for spots Ive had good luck fishing in the western Bourbonnais/davis creek area. As well as downstream from momence.(eagle island rd has several shore access spots). I rarely boat fish the river and all my recent success has been from shore. Helpful hint, big bass swimbaits catch dandy walleye the bigger brighter and more obnoxious the better.
__________________
I'd rather be fishing!
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
chitownvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: chicago
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Joe View Post
I have several pics on my phone I'll gladly email them to someone to volunteer. I dont feel like doing the photobucket thing. Is there a way to upload pics I'm unaware of or is it still just photobucket. As for spots Ive had good luck fishing in the western Bourbonnais/davis creek area. As well as downstream from momence.(eagle island rd has several shore access spots). I rarely boat fish the river and all my recent success has been from shore. Helpful hint, big bass swimbaits catch dandy walleye the bigger brighter and more obnoxious the better.
This year I have fished the Kankakee east of Island Park many times in the jon boat.We have not caught one walleye this year. High water, low water, whatever the condition. We have fished after dark, used live bait rigs, tried literally everything, and still no luck. We are very experienced fisherman with many walleye taken over the years, but we've had zero luck on the Kankakee in this stretch. Many smallmouth, largemouuth, northern, rock bass, white bass, channel cats, even flathead...but no walleye. We're going back soon to try the Aroma Park area.
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Polish Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 325
Default

Go to big stick anglings page on facebok to see the walleye potential on the kank!
__________________
I'd rather be fishing!
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Bourbonnais Il
Posts: 755
Default

getting some very nice ones on #14 husky jerks
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hipster78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ktown
Posts: 693
Default

I observed three guys electroshocking the river very tight to the bank monday late afternoon thru the park. The amount of walleyes they brought up was insane, I could actually see numerous walleye jumping out of the water trying to get out of the way. Conditions are improving but wading is still a wet dream at this point.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster78 View Post
I observed three guys electroshocking the river very tight to the bank monday late afternoon thru the park. The amount of walleyes they brought up was insane, I could actually see numerous walleye jumping out of the water trying to get out of the way..
Just some three guys? Were they DNR or just some nuckleheads electroshocking fish for fun?
Stonecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hipster78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ktown
Posts: 693
Default

QUOTE Stonecat Just some three guys? Were they DNR or just some nuckleheads electroshocking fish for fun?


The truck and trailer had normal plates,(not gov.) boat had no indication of being owned by the state. The three guys appeared to be in there early 30s. Two guys up front with what looked like salmon nets, the third guy was driving. I watched them for a good 20 minutes, no note taking or measuring of fish. I saw them net countless fish and then just flip them out of the nets back into the water.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High water vs. Low Water Educational Debate PowernFinesse DesPlaines 9 03-04-2010 09:37 AM
With all this high water... Raptor Fox River Fishing 4 05-02-2009 09:17 AM
High Water SaltyDave General Outdoors Discussion 2 08-29-2007 03:17 PM
High water 8-10-07 Raptor Dupage 5 08-12-2007 01:51 AM
High water? nepeg General Outdoors Discussion 8 12-05-2006 12:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.