Monday on the Kank with pics - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Monday on the Kank with pics

It's been a while but I got out with my dad yesterday. River is still muddy but levels are down and wading was no problem. Got 10 smallies and 1 carp. My dad only managed 1 small walleye. All fish were caught on a yellow Strike King Red Eye Shad. Tried top waters, minnows, few other cranks but that was all they wanted. Hope to get out again this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1443532794395.jpeg (56.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1443532809743.jpeg (53.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1443532817925.jpeg (80.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1443532833118.jpeg (50.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1443532844955.jpeg (102.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1443532855774.jpeg (62.5 KB, 65 views)
Cotto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

A good time for sure!
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome stuff! Very nice smallies and it's great that your dad landed a fish too. what's the deepest water that you usually dare to engage?

Seeing your father at his age wading out in the current with you makes me wanna rethink my whole fishing agenda. We used to wade all of the time, and in fact it was our exclusive way to fish for a long, long time. My brother and I are in our late 50's and we basically gave up wading for the most part because we are not as fit and strong as we once were. We tend to always think sit in the boat now, and although we talk about wading we never seem to actually do it anymore. Kudo's to you guys and especially to your father!
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice, have to get back down there again
First Light is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm 58 and wade about 5 days a week . No plans on stopping .
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My dad is 67. I just got him wading a few years ago and he enjoys it. He Kayaks as well. I don't push it with the depth and don't take chances. I try to stay waist deep, walk slow and feel ahead with my feet as I go. I have yet to fall in or get in any trouble. I'm not risking my life for a fish. That being said, wading is enjoyable, good exercise and gives you access you can't get any other way.
Cotto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotto View Post
... I don't push it with the depth and don't take chances. I try to stay waist deep, walk slow and feel ahead with my feet as I go.... That being said, wading is enjoyable, good exercise and gives you access you can't get any other way.
I agree completely.
I have recently spent a couple days on the Fox river in a boat between the Algonquin and McHenry dams and though we caught a few fish I know I would have done way better if I was in waders.
The angles that you can cast into/out of eddys and likely areas are impossible to duplicate from a boat unless one guy is just going to concentrate solely on boat control.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotto View Post
My dad is 67. I just got him wading a few years ago and he enjoys it. He Kayaks as well. I don't push it with the depth and don't take chances. I try to stay waist deep, walk slow and feel ahead with my feet as I go. I have yet to fall in or get in any trouble. I'm not risking my life for a fish. That being said, wading is enjoyable, good exercise and gives you access you can't get any other way.
Unfortunately my getting older is only half the problem. Bad knees, bad back, and other assorted maladies have taken their toll on me. And combine that with general laziness and you get an ass-ache in the boat. Yep, I am going back to wading at least half the time. No sense in letting three pairs of waders rot away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I agree completely.
I have recently spent a couple days on the Fox river in a boat between the Algonquin and McHenry dams and though we caught a few fish I know I would have done way better if I was in waders.
The angles that you can cast into/out of eddys and likely areas are impossible to duplicate from a boat unless one guy is just going to concentrate solely on boat control.
Ain't that the truth. Since I am in the front of the boat and operate the trolling motor, I spend an inordinate amount of time doing that. My brother has at least a 2-1 casting ratio on me. I'm thinking of charging him for the ride...

We like to anchor if we find a suitable spot to cast an eddy or nice pool when the conditions for using the motor to maintain position would be difficult or impossible.
chitownvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hammertime.
Stonecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekyknees View Post
I'm 58 and wade about 5 days a week . No plans on stopping .
I wouldn't have guessed you were a day over 50!
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in