camping - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default camping

First post here! I have a trip planned to fish the Kankakee at the end of July. I'll be driving up from near St. Louis and was planning on camping. I noticed that the state park campgrounds are all closed.. Are there any other good spots close by for tent camping? I found a few places, but information was pretty limited. The more primitive, the better.
joecd3209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Aroma Park has waterfront camping available for 15 dollars a night. Two rivers campground by the boat club.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Joe View Post
Aroma Park has waterfront camping available for 15 dollars a night. Two rivers campground by the boat club.
That's one of the places I have found so far. I was also interested in Rivals lookout area. What's up with all of the campgrounds in the area not allowing alcohol? I'm not trying to party or anything, but it's tough to beat a few nice beers by a camp fire after a day of fishing...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't quote me but I belive the aroma park campground allows booze. That being said if your discreet and respectful I think you'll be OK and most places.
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks man, just looking forward to some smallies on the fly in a month!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I should let you know the aroma park campground itself is not a very good area for smallmouth. It is where the Kankakee and Iroquois convulge. It's very wide and at about 9 or 10 feet deep in summer pool.Also tends to be muddy. It fishes more like a small reservoir than a river. It's still a good spot for numerous species,but the good news is your only 10 minutes away from your proto typical Kankakee smallmouth water. Just head upstream from aroma park and you'll find more of your water willow pools and shallow rock riffle habitat.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up. I am floating on the 22nd with a guide and had planned to stick to more familiar water around the state park the next day wet wading. I know last summer I waded/hiked back into rock creek quite a ways and had some success. Didn't do too bad in the river either. I think that was probably in late august/early September.. I'll pack the 2wt for some bream just in case!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Google rivals lookout park. It may be exactly what you're looking for. Haven't been out there in a few years so maybe another member can tell you more up to date info. It's downstream from the state park and they have tent camping, much better fishing in that area than aroma park.
sadler81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in