Good Day/Bad Day - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2002, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

First the good news, I had a great day out on the water fishing and catching. With the heat wave coming, I new I had to hit it early. I launched my boat at 5:45 and called it a day at 9:45. I knew with the time I had I couldn't go with Kevin to the ISA outing so I hit a spot close to home on the Rock river. Armed with some leeches, jigs and my ultrlight I headed to the biggest riffle I could think of to test a catfish pattern I've been fine tuning over the years. It was one of those days where you loose count. I think I caught 33 catfish all 13-17", one 16" walleye, and a smallmouth. The action was very steady all morning until I ran out of leeches. I don't think I went more than 4 casts in a row without a hit. I kept 5 catfish for dinner and let all the rest go. You never gut hook them with the jig and leech.

The bad part of the day was when I broke my favorite ultralight rod. This rod had served me well over the last 5 years. It helped me land well over 1,000 smallmouths including an 18" one this spring. It battled with 700-800 largemouths including a few 18-19" and a couple hundred walleyes including a beast 29.75" last fall. I just had a feel for that rod. I could feel this difference between rock, gravel or sand on the bottom and the differnce between a 9" walleye nibble and bumping a small rock. It was almost an extension of my body and now its gone. There is no question I got my moneys worth out of it. It played very hard over the past 5 years and looked like it too. Now I'm in the market for a high quality 2 piece ultralight rod. I hear a lot of good things about G-Loomis but I'm not sure if they come in a 2 piece. I took a look at a Fenwick that looked pretty good. Does anyone have any thoughts on a quality made sensitive ultralight rod?
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2002, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Paul,

Sorry to hear about your rod. I know how that feels.

I would recommend you contact my friend, Rob Kolar from Kolar bait and Tackle in Carol Stream. Even if you do not buy from him, he will help you. He is a good guy, and he just so happens sponsor this website. He can throw one **** of a party too.

Cliff
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I currently own 2-G.Loomis Rods, and 7 St. Croix, I love both brands, but for the $$ you are prepared to spend, I would take a long look at what St. Croix has to offer. On a side note: St. Croix replaced a $295.00 rod that was broken by a car door for the cost of Shipping & Handleing + $25.
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2002, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have heard some good things about the St Croix. The Fenwick is probably not in the same class as the 2 you mentioned. I have an awards card that has about 300 bucks I could spend at Bass Pro or Cabellas. I hate to buy a rod over the internet though. Its just one of those things you have to see and feel before you buy. Do you know if G-Loomis or St Croix come in a 2-piece rod. I need one I can store in the trunk of my car for my lunch breaks.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Paul, i thought i would fill you in on a couple of things. First the outing, didnt get as many as we assumed. Thats people and fish!
7 guys total but for our first north ISA outing hey that was fine with me.
The smallies were all over the place but the bite and water levels were real low and slow.
Day totals for 7 guys were 75 smallies,biggest a 16" to Brian,i guess it was his turn as last time out he only caught the dinks.
I wasnt doing that well because and this is going to upset you being as that you broke your right arm. I bought myself a new rod and reel. Yep you guessed it a St.Croix 6ft lightweight fast action tip,with a pinnacle pro reel. Its a nice setup and i had it spooled with 8lb. fireline. The fireline and this pole i dont like together.Way to hard to distinguish between rock and bite from the smaller fish. The rod is great with bigger fish but the smaller ones are hard to tell by.
During lunch break i put my shimano reel on the Croix with 8Lb. mono(stren) and it was much better,i will however use the fireline rig on the Kish for the bigger size smallies.
Sorry to hear about your best freind,and ask Brian what he thinks about his Fenwick,he told me he thought it was a steel for the money and he loves it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2002, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Paul, I have a 2 piece 7' med lite St. Croix and a 1 piece 51/2' ultralite St. Croix. Both are things of beauty to fish with. I also use a Fenwick Techna AV 7' med. heavy that is great.
I also have an Abu Garcia Tournament rod that I got on a close out for $40.00 , love it too. You just never know.
I definitely have to have my hands on a rod before I hand over the cash.
Creekyknees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Paul,I would recomend a St. Croix I have 5 of them and they are a dream to fish with. Try checking the Curve or Gander Mtn, they have an extensive selection. You can also look at St. Croix's web site for their complete selection. I know the Curve will order any rod they make. St. Croix rods are more expensive, but well worth the price. Kevin, I might suggest going to 6lb. test. I when from 8 to 6 a few years ago and it increased the number of fish. I think you would see an improvement in the sensitivity.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2002, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jim, when i bought the rod& reel at Galyans they where all out of 6lb. which for fireline thats what i had in mind in the first place. You really dont need the 8lb. it's overkill.
I thought i would try it anyhow as Paul swears by it and he usually catches more fish than i do so i figured it might be the line not the fisherman.(kidding Paul)
I cant believe how strong the stuff is,Paul always cuts his hands trying to pull snags free and now i know why.Thanks for the advice Jim,i'll give it a shot. By the way Paul i did get a one peice St Croix,not sure if they make a two peice. Give the website a shot,and hurry up and order that baby.Kankakee outing is only 3 weeks away. You need to let me know if your planning on staying for a night, im still planning on staying down there and camping the night of the outing August 10th. Way to hard to get there by 7:00am and fish all day and then drive straight home,i would rather stop around 5:00pm have a burger and some suds and then hit the river again for the topwater bite at sundown. Sounds like fun dosent it?!
By the way i did tell Jim J. we were going to guide ourselves for this outing so he can give the new members a guide instead of us,i do know the Kankakee pretty well where the ISA holds their outing. Let mama know asap so she cant hold you back. Im also doing the Weldron fox trip too and need a canoe partner for the day.Petes guiding!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2002, 10:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

You know I have a canoe too. We can use the stabalizer and it will be easy to fish out of. I could even bring a battery and my trolling motor if you think it would help. I'm sure they have a shuttle service. I want to fish the K3 too. From what I hear its the best smallie river in the state. It boasts the state record walleye and has some big cats too. I better stay away from those cats. I think I'm going to get one of those metal mesh gloves like the Knights used to wear.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

why not give"Americas strongest, most sensitive rod" a try. thats right the Ugly stik. they dont break no matter what you do.
Mike48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in