Boat fishing the kish ? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to stevo Send a message via AIM to stevo Send a message via MSN to stevo Send a message via Yahoo to stevo
Default Boat fishing the kish ?

Has anyone fished the river from the launch at belv-park to the y at lawerence ville road ? If so how deep is it and is it safe for a 16-foot tracker?It looks like a great spot! I know there is alot of smallies and northerns in the river.
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Boat fishing the kish ?

I fish the Kish in a canoe all the time. It is not a river that you want to take anything other than a canoe or kayak on in most places. Some 10"+ holes, but much of the river is less than waist deep most of the year. During the summer, we have to get out a the canoe and walk a lot in wide areas. Once the south branch and the north branch meet up it flows a little better, but a kayak or a canoe are your best option. I am pretty sure that gas engines aren't allowed on the Kish. If you drop a trolling motor it would get ruined pretty quickly I think. During the rainy seasons, there is enough water for a boat but the river runs really fast and tight in some spots (fast and tight for a kayak that is... a 16" boat would be a death warrant) and you'd likely take a bath and maybe kill yourself in a 16" boat. You won't catch anything during the spring high-water anyway. The river produces best for me in the morning and the evening once the river has warmed up and calmed down a little. During the spring runs the river moves fast as is really churned up. Zero water clarity. Once it calms down it is very clear. I have been kayaking and canoeing the river for years in this area and have dumped several times. Not fun in a canoe... less fun in a boat with a bunch of gear. Steer clear of the area around Distillery park until you really know what you are doing in a canoe. It can be a real pain in the ass during high water. Dangerous.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in