Mississippi Boating - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mississippi Boating

I was wondering if I could get a little advice on fishing / boating the 'ole Mississippi. I will be putting in across the street from the Mississippi Palasades SP and have never been on this river. I have always shore fished and just bought a 17ft deep V w/40hp and would like to make a trip out that way to do some fishing of any kind. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I have heard this river can be very shallow and with a deep V I am unsure of my limits. Thanks!!
gyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

When you launch look to your left or north and you will see small white poles sticking out of the water. Those are the channel markers to get out to the main river. The first part is real shallow but then you can open up just stay between the white poles. Get a map, stay inbetween the red and green markers on the main river, look out for wings dams. Its a great fishery have fun
Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Mississippi

Thanks a million for the info.. I am a rookie at the boating thing so I need to ask, what are wing dams?
gyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
KP

Absolutely follow those white poles. Stay between them, especially at the point where they are only 20 feet apart. There is a wing dam just below the surface between where the white pole markers end and the island in front of you. I know, I've hit it. Stay 100-150 feet off the rock bank to your left until you can look directly between the island in front of you and the island to your right. Then turn right and go directly between the islands. You'll see guys that fly in and out of that area, but I'd wait until your clear of that wing dam.

It is highly advised you get a Fishing Hot Spot Map of Pool 13. You'll see where the wing dams are marked on the map plus all the great spots to fish and explore. The wing dam I talk about above has a narrow open area for entering and exiting that channel to the launch that you'll see on the map. If you have a GPS, enter the coordinates of that opening, and you won't have to be as cautious as the above paragraph.

After that, have a blast. I love that spot on the Miss and my wife and I go frequently. I even camp with my sons on the islands there. Try eating at the Tow Boat near the launch. Good food and interesting owners.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Make sure you have an extra prop with you - you can thank me for the tip later
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in