Where is the South Pool at Busse? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2003, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where is the South Pool at Busse?

Where exactly is the South Pool at Busse? My mom and I tried to go there on Sat. and ended up going to the Main Dam instead! Only some small gills. Maybe I'll go back this Sat. I need to hook into some eyes!
channel cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Go in the entrance that is at Rte 53 and Higgins. Drive all the way back and turn right at the second road after the stop sign. You will be in a parking lot with the boat ramps.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2003, 07:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do I turn by that big reddish-brown bridge? And one more question for you, what is a good color lure (like shad raps, other rapalas, etc.) to use for walleye and maybe some bass over at Busse? Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

No, not by the bridge, by Rte 53. You can see the Rte 53 overpass and the stop lights from the Higgins/53 entrance. This is west of the bridge and the entrance is on the south side of the street (Higgins).

It sounds like you are coming from Arlington Heights Road, so you want to go past the bridge, until you easily see Rte 53 and right before Rte 53, on the left will be the entrance, with a FPD sign, and maybe a boat rental or bait sign somewhere.

Bright colors like firetiger, chartreuse, etc and gold/orange work well on lures, as the water has a little color, or can be murky. Rattle minnows, like Rogues work well also.

Cast on an angle to the shoreline. Use a twitch, or short slow-to-fast pull, and then reel up slack as the lure pauses, then repeat the twitch/pull. If the lure bumps something, pause for a couple seconds and give the lure a chance to rise above the snag, otherwise you could snag and lose to lure.

From shore, shallower-running lures are safer to use, so you won't snag and lose them as often. Or work a deep diver very slow, with short pulls/pauses.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Heading Northwest on Higgins, take the last entrance on the left side CC, and take it all the way down to the end. South Pool is on your right. When the water color clears up I usually use natural looking lures like silver, or silver-green diving shadraps and caught the majority of fall walleyes on those last season. The trick was to cast the lure out, get it down deep and slowly retrieve it back toward me, letting the lure hang, twitch and pause along the rocky dropoffs or the edge of flats next to deep water. Keep the rod tip up and retrieve the lure slowly to keep from getting hung up in the rocks and to give the fishies enough time to see it. The better you can work the lure, and make it appear as realistic a baitfish as possible in the spots on the spot (right below the dropoff, next to shallow rock edge, flat edges) the more likely you are to get a bite.

In prior years when the water seemed a bit murkier and the walleyes were in closer to shore I did well with chartreuse firetiger or perch shallow running thundersticks cast on an angle along the shoreline rocks and dropoffs like Larry mentioned. Best bites for me usually come around sunset, but mornings are good too.

I went out last night for a few hours, and fished a few windblown points and shorelines but got no takers. Water temperature is still pretty high(67 degrees), carp were jumping and bullheads were being caught by others. As soon as those species start to slow down the walleye bite is going to pick up.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have always used the Bisner Street enterance to get to the South Pool It's right by Alexian Brothers Hospital on Biesterfield road. It will also get you to the south pool. I like this way because I think it has more shore line fishing possiblilities. I have done a lot of exploring in this area. I start out in the first parking lot that gives you access to the wall and fish the area to the left of the wall and work my way all the way to the rip-rap at the center dam. Have had little success with the walleyes in this area catching just 4 with only one bigger then 15in. On the other hand I have caught about 15 bass with a couple of fish over 15in. I have got all fish using soft plastics on jigs,but thats what I have the most confidence with and can't seem to buy a bite on a crankbait. Mostly bright colors work for me yellow,chartruse. Had success with flipping weightless senkos, and gulp worms casting parallel to the shore line. I'd say having alot of confidence in the lure selection you use makes a big difference. It does for me anyway. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys! This weekend I may go! Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in