Salt Creek Report 11-10 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2003, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Salt Creek Report 11-10

I was in the area and had a 1 1/2 hours of free time so I thought I'd check out the creek. The recent rains flushed out a lot of the debree/floating weeds that was hindering my presentations/locations for a week ago.

The increase in flow also got the walleyes going, as I caught five walleyes over 18" within the first 45 minutes then they shut down.

Total: 21" first cast on 2" shabby shad. 19" same bait third cast, miss one on the forth cast, missed again a few minutes later. 19.5" same bait. No hits for 10 minutes, Lost bait in timber and switched to 3" natural color minnow bait. 22.5" on minnow bait, 19" on minnow bait and the last one was 14". Walleyes wanted a snap and pause presentation. They hit hard on the pause. The key was keeping slack out of the line for a good quick hookset. I missed two because it took an extra second it took getting my line tight before I could set the hook. I was surprised to get six for one spot. Normally, they shut down or move after a couple.
quetico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice going Que, I have been back there and when the time is right they just feed like crazy. I have never got 6 in that amount of time, but I did have a 3 walleye day in two hours this spring with a couple around 20in. Do you think its true that they are not coming from Busse but from down stream? I think in one of your posts you said that someone from the DNR told you that the fish are not coming from the high water overflow in Busse it might have been in reference to the pike if my memory serves me right, but wouldn't that mean that he also thinks the walleye are coming in that pool from the other way? Anyhow I disagree I could very well be wrong but I think that the pike and walleye in that area are from Busse. I just was wondering what your thoughts on that were. Nice job and keep your reports coming I really find them helpful for when I'm fishing the Busse and salt creek area.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Q, are you fishing salt creek below the dam,or across from Higgins? Have you come across any pike?
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

ive caught 2 pike there before but they were no real great size. Biggest was 25 inches. Good fight though. It was in the spring with a fire tiger rapala. a ive had some of those great days at the creek too. I got some pictures of some of the walleye i caught and there is a pike pic on my photo page. Good luck on the water.
afisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pike

i have to catch myself a pike this year (04). did anyone ever try fishing those creeks in the south pool for pike? also, are there any pike in the south pool? actually, one more question. where would i have better chances of catching a pike below the main dam or across form higgins?
pike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2003, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

according to the fishing hot spot map, 2,150 adult pike were stoked in 1989, and 589 9"pike were stoked in 1993.the guy at the baitshop said an 18# northern was caught this summer.
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2003, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice catching Quetico, and in such a short amount of time. You probably got every big one in the area. I havent been out in a couple of days days, I might try this afternoon.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bassinator, your right about the timing, because those fish in the creek turn on and off real quick. If I go, I go early or late in the day to increase the odds. Normally, early spring is when I find them stacked up like that.

As far as where the walleyes come from, I'm sure some swim over the dam by choice but I think the majority come from downstream. In spring and fall walleyes travel upstream to spawn or fake spawn in fall. Since the dam stops their travel they either hang by the dam or the first deep hole downstream from the dam. Add in the fact there is a warm water discharge that attacts bait fish and the walleyes will hang around all winter and hang around longer in sping instead of heading downstream right after the spawn. But the majority do leave the area sometime before summer.

Another reason I know they come from downstream is the fact that back around 1990 a friend of mine took me to salt creek one spring night to check out the walleyes. I didn't beleive they were in there. He said he hear from John Campbell (now a Pro Walleye fisherman who use to live in Elk Grove) that walleyes spawn there. Sure enough they were there. We flashed a bright light in shallow water and you could see 20 sets of eyes. I don't beleive Walleyes were stock in Busse til late 1980's. Most of the fish we caught back than were too big to be from the Busse stockings.

Here is a good tip with walleyes and dams. Look for the first deep hole downstream for the dam. Dams get pounded pretty good but the first deep hole is where the big females hang in the spring before moving up to spawn. I fished the rock river dam in rockton last feb and we caught a few decent fish, but nothing great. The next day we went out again but looked to a first deep hole downstream from the dam, which we found not on the Rock but the Pecatonica River which flows into the Rock about a 1/2 mile downstream of the dam. We both caught 2 fish over 27" from what most people think of as a catfish river.

He
quetico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default salt creek /busse

que, nice fishing! i have fish the main lake at busse a few times
a year and i have not caught squat! we used to rent a row boat and
fished all over and drowned a lot of worms and made a lot of casts
and never seen a walleye! so help me out a bit.
1) where are you accesing the creek
2) hows the banks-sloppy?
3) what are you doing bout 3:30 tomorrow!

trackerfan
trackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Great information! Great fishing ,thats the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to this site. Thanks Que and hope you have some more days like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in