Busse Main 3/27 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Busse Main 3/27

Went out 'scouting' with Bassinator from 0800 to about 1400. There's a lot of great looking spots on this lake. There's a lot to learn also. After fishing the South Pool for so many years, this lake looks HUGE.

One bass (13.75 inches), for me, came on a brown crawfish Baby Minus 1. I had a couple other bumps. Bassinator had a couple bumps, but no fish.

I learned there are a lot more snags on this lake's shores than the South Pool, as I hit many trees and a beaver dam. I made a 2 lure donation to the fish gods, but they were gone for the weekend.

The tournament should really be fun because there is a lot of 'fishy' looking water on the Main Pool. I see large bass and walleye in my future.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi!

Did y'all happen to take note of the water temps?

Thanks

Rick
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I didn't check the temp, but it was probably still below 50 degrees. It hasn't been warm enough at night to raise the temperature too much above 50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I didn't get a chance to hit Busse last weekend but I did fish a private lake just south of Busse Woods. Caught 8 bass on a Jointed shad rap, all were close to shore, all from the north shoreline. With the strong SW winds we had, the water there was 3 or 4 degrees warmer. I'm sure the same was true with Busse.
quetico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Larry what amazes me the most is afther look at the map when I got home I realized that we havn't even fished more then half of the main pool yet.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
With the strong SW winds we had, the water there was 3 or 4 degrees warmer. I'm sure the same was true with Busse.
Nope, not true. We fished the north shore later in the morning and escaped without getting any fish odors on our hands. Drat!

The one bass we got came from calm shallow water near a deep channel.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
With the strong SW winds we had, the water there was 3 or 4 degrees warmer. I'm sure the same was true with Busse.
Nope, not true. We fished the north shore later in the morning and escaped without getting any fish odors on our hands. Drat!

The one bass we got came from calm shallow water area in a deep channel.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Larry what amazes me the most is afther look at the map when I got home I realized that we havn't even fished more then half of the main pool yet.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I realized that we havn't even fished more then half of the main pool yet
We haven't fished more than about 20% of the lake. We hit a couple spots in the no'west end, a few spots on the north shore, and drifted the upper no'east shore between the creek and the main lake point across from the island.

Unless you need to anchor because of a strong wind, it is definitely a lake to keep moving on until you find a pod of fish. It will be interesting to see what trolling does.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Larry, I didn't mean that you would catch them on the north shore just that the fish were there.

Seriously, you battled that wind so you must have thought it was a good spot under the conditions. It must have been hard to position the boat even with a trolling motor. I'd rather fish a wind pounded shoreline by wading and casting parallel to shore if I think the fish are in tight.

The spot I fished had a two-foot shelf against the shore that attracts feeding bass as the bass can pin their prey against the shoreline. Only spot on the lake that has this feature. I grew up on the lake so I had plenty of time to figure out a pattern or two.

Was the water clarity a lot worst by the north shore? Also, have you had a chance to fish Clearwater bay?
quetico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in