Salt Creek Fish Advisory - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 PM  

Default Salt Creek Fish Advisory

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservatio ... 81461.html

anyone hear more on this? I know they only tested carp, but I would assume all large fish would be affected.
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 07:39 PM  
Gus

I was just talking with John Lee, of Lee's Dollar Store, about this on sunday. I haven't heard any more than what your link contains 'stalker. Though I do recall reading an article in the Daily Hearld a few weeks back stating the same basic thing. It kind of ticks me off, really. Why do they have to be so vague? They say salt creek in the desplains river basin. So would that include all of busse lake? Technically I would think so. Also, if carp are so contaminated in this system, wouldn't it also stand to reason other species would be? 'Cats in particular come to mind, but thourogh testing of all species should be done. I would think the government would err on the side of caution, and be as specific as possible to avoid any possible legal trouble.
Gus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 PM  

Salt creek through the Main Pool may not be included in this, IMHO. I've never investigated where salt creek starts, or what it flows through before reaching the Main Pool, but it goes through a lot of drainage land before reaching Busse, across Higgins. There's a lot of area to filter the water through.

That still doesn't guarantee that the fish are safe. I don't think any fish are safe to consume freely, in such a congested urban area as Chicago. But the fish in Busse lakes are probably as safe as any in the area as long as you don't over-consume.

If we can't trust fish out of the oceans, or Lake M, how can we trust them in small urban lakes. The polution by man is farther reaching than our government is willing to admit. I think putting out an advisory is the best we can expect until a body of water is really dangerous to consume from.
LarryM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 10:50 PM  

A fish advisory for eating no more than one carp meal per month doesn't seem out of the norm anymore. I'm sure that same advisory goes on to say eat no carp over 24". Too bad because there sure are a lot of carp in Busse.
quetico is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2004, 09:09 AM  

To all the bucket people.
Keep eating the walleye out of Salt Creek! You just might grow an extra eye.
YUM
walleye_71 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2004, 12:23 PM  

..or a 3rd ball....
fishstalker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 06:59 AM  

just wondering been hearing fish advisory reports since I was a kid. But has anyone seen or heard of anyone actually getting sick or ill effects from eating fish, not neccessarly busse.But lake Michigan Salmon or fox chain. Now thats not to say I would eat any fish out of the salt creek and I release everything I catch out of Busse. But am just curious on this as I am also curious on the effects CWD has on those that eat natures offerings.
Skeeter166 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 07:55 AM  

Quote:
But has anyone seen or heard of anyone actually getting sick or ill effects from eating fish, not neccessarly busse.But lake Michigan Salmon or fox chain.
I've eaten them from all 3 and I'm still here. I also played with mercury as a kid, from broken thermometers.

The are so many toxins all around us that we take in, in one form or another, that it would be hard to diagnose which one killed you and where it came from.

Our work elevators have a little screen in them that puts up news blurbs, and this morning there was one about our government being concerned about the oceans around us because of polution and development.

Bumper sticker: "You eat right. You jog 5 miles every day. You die anyway."

The less crap you can put in your body the better off you probably are. My grandfather smoked cigars and ate fatty Polish food for almost 85 years. My wife's brother died at 19 from Lupis.

"You are what you eat." Pick your own poison. Nothing in small amounts is deadly. Well, probably almost nothing.
LarryM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2004, 10:32 AM  

Send a message via AIM to LUNKERMAN2000

Salt creek starts in the Deer Grove forest preserve. There are 2 branches of it till they meet in Rolling Meadows. One branch runs a little south and east thru the Palatine Hills golf course. Then runs east before it turns south near rt 53, from there it runs south thru the east side of town past Twin Lakes rec. area then thru Arlington Park race track and downtown Rolling meadows. after it crosses Golf rd. it is a dredged channel till it empties into the marshy area of Busse. The other branch starts in the south west corner of Deer Grove and runs thru palatine on the west side it joins the other branch near central rd. in Rolling Meadows. In Palatine there are 2 flood control resevoirs one on each branch (both hold quality fish). Mostly it runs thru residental areas
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 PM  

Send a message via AIM to LUNKERMAN2000

Most toxins in fish are found in the fat and skin. By removing the skin and fat layers 99% of the contaniments are removed. The reason you dont see other species of fish on the warning is because of feeding habits and the amount body fat that species has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in