Du Page 3 hours 54 lb of fish top fish 9 lb. 4 oz. ((pics)) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Du Page 3 hours 54 lb of fish top fish 9 lb. 4 oz. ((pics))

Are there fish in our waters? Yes, Pat fished a new venue 5/13 in Du Page County- I never tell in a post (but will pass it on if you PM me).. A great afternoon of bank angling? I would say so... besides some monster bullheads there were some even larger fish that were ready willing and able to strip some line off Pat Mills- co-founder of Midwest Anglers Club- reel and tire him out this afternoon.

Big fish action was a blast and I captured some on film- hey if you have dail-up, you might have to wait (like Pat did) for these monsters to come into view.

If you are interested in improving your fishing, getting a little thrill on the weekend (instead of a lame ole weekend of fishing) come watch or fish with us on Sunday in Oak Brook.

Despite all the knocks bank angling gets- it is still quite an efficient way to enjoy 50 plus pounds of fish in 3 hours.... no matter how you slice it.

Weather will be nice 71 degrees, hopefully everyone will catch on Sunday- free seminar before the event on rod/reel fishing a lake/river and balancing your float rigs-

See you there-

Chicago Fishing School
Chicago Suburban Fishing League

chicagoangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Nice carp !!!!

Nice Job!!! Carp get a bad rap, but they are great fighters, and BIG !!! I was carping down state about a week ago and topped 100 pounds of fish (in 5 fish) in one morning. Top fish 28.8 on the digital scale, 35.5 inches. All on weightless nightcrawlers. Just carp, but still a real BLAST to crank in something that big. Good Luck Everybody.

PS. These were my top two fish for the day

kpwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Look at those monsters!

WOw- those are monsters.

How tired were you from that???????
What length rod do you use to battle those?

I saw my cousin battle a fish that was near 35 lb. on steelhead tackle for :55 minutes. Take one of the earth's strongest wiley fish and make it that big- you must have been exhausted after #2 or #3!!!

Were you targeting them or fishing for other species? Also- your comment "just carp" is not good. Those are awesome fish- larger and more powerful than most any inland "game fish"- the carp is the king of all gamefish worldwide. Be proud man- you were proud enough to take the photos.

The easy question is- would you rather catch 12" fish or that?

Do you ever go back after those beasts?? There are large fish (Lake Michigan Chicago River has some in that range) and nearly every one of our lakes holds good populations of them. Some lakes they are larger than others and some lakes there are large numbers of smaller ones.

We call it fishing. That is a fish. A huge fish- and you succeeded in fishing.

Way to go- thanks for sharing.

Chicago Fishing School

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

i second that post! what monsters! i would be ecstatic if i could go out and catch fish like that all year. thanks for posting the pics, again, great post and hope you do well again in the future. come out this sunday and try your skills in oakbrook at the match.

andrew
cheetahhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2004, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don’t get me wrong, I definitely respect carp as the true brutes they are. But given the choice between a 20 pound carp, a 6 pound bass, or a 15 pound muskie, the carp would have to come in third in my book, (but change that to a 3 pound bass and a 30 inch muskie, and the carp is the winner!!).

I caught those fish on the second day of a “Bass” trip, when the bass wouldn’t bite. I was using heavy bass baitcasters with 20 pound Spiderwire, and lost at least 3 fish to every one I boated. I hooked one that was easily in the forty pound class, and he promptly snapped me off like I was using 2 pound mono. For lots of Big, Fast, Wild Action nothing around here can compete with a day of carp fishing.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Longer rods

The beasts demand beast equipment-
Those specimens would require much longer rod (to absorb the powerful runs) and a large spinning reel or something to send the line out with out relying on drag- drag is what busted your line- they are too powerful for most drag to peel off line the way it should.

I have landed 17 lb. fish on 3.5 line- secret- long rod and no drag (backreeling when fish runs to let line out/ keep tension)- what I was taught by Mick... it works.

So, you are torn between getting back to the bass action and those beasts???

It is easy debate for me- fish. Doesn't matter size or shape - give me fish. If you want true test of angling skills go for 5 lb. suckers on light line- power of carp, Muskie-like- fight along with powerful long speed runs and add one more- the death spiral. I have had these fish go into rolls and just wrap up on the line before snapping me off.

Those are awesome fish bigger than any bass on the planet, fatter than any muskelounge and hey- like I said- they were biting. There are days when I challenge you to hook up on one carp- they get lock-jaw too.

Their game fish like the rest..

Chicago Fishing School

Old 05-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, when carp aren't in the feeding mode, there ain't any amount of coaxing, tricking or finessing you can do to change their minds. But when they're biting... LOOK OUT !!! Carp have probably stolen more rods and reels from bank fishermen than all other types of fish combined. I've even been a victim (back when I was in high school).
Old 05-14-2004, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Lost two

A guy fishing in Downer's Grove lost two in one day! Fishing rods were meant to be in hands, not laying on the side (or in the bottom of a lake)... good point. I wonder how many rods end up in the lakes and rivers of the US each year??

Chicago Fishing School

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in