Nice fish (pic) and a little remorse 9-22-07 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nice fish (pic) and a little remorse 9-22-07

Great day on the water yesterday. Caught about 15 in just under two hours on a carolina rigged creature bait, but the trip was cut short from this last fish:

I was very happy to catch it, as it measured 20.25" and weighed 4 lbs 3 oz, a real beauty! Slammed my caronlia rig hard, and immediately came at me fast, slacking my line big time. By the time I caught up with it and managed a hook set (only about 3 seconds total), my creature bait was all the way down the throat. After a long hard battle, she finally came into my boat bleeding badly, and I tried to get that hook out and get her back into the water quickly, except it was way in there, and it would only make matters worse for me to be trying to rip it out, even going through the gill area on the side. So I snipped, and put her back in the water without a photo to her the best chance (above photo was taken after she already passed and I brought her home).

I fished for about 10 more minutes, but I could hear her flapping on the surface, and just knew she would not make it, so I motored over and picked her up. Feeling a bit upset over killing such a big fish, I decided to leave then and take it home and clean it. Not a big bass eater (don't like the taste so much), but I was not going to have such a nice fish die and only end up feeding turtles. Now she will provide a meal for the family.

All in all though, the action was great! All the weeds are pretty much gone in my small lake, and the fish are relating to off shore structure (humps in this case), so carolina rigging and crankbaiting have been pulling in lots of fish for me over the last couple of weeks.

I was alone in the prowler, as Ed (ejsusmc) did not return my phone call to go fishing! (so what if I only gave him 10 minutes notice )
Fishin D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yohoo!!! Nice bass man. Congrats!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's a good'un.
Feces occur.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can't control how the fish hit your bait. You did your best and at least you did the right thing instead of letting some gull pick at him for hours.
vackerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

What a great fish! Nice catch.

I think we all know how you feel. At least you made the effort to do everything possible you could. Unfortuantely sometimes it happens.
Cole Water is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey it happens you did everything you can. Nice Bass
Old 09-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Baby Killer!

lol just messin with you big D.

I woulda cut her up into pieces and planted her under my wife's lilac bushes personally...... can't stand the taste of LM bass.

Heading out to the lakefront EARLY Tuesday morning, 3 am to 6 am.......

We'll see how that goes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thats a monster right there ya got congrats...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsusmc
Baby Killer!

lol just messin with you big D.

I woulda cut her up into pieces and planted her under my wife's lilac bushes personally...... can't stand the taste of LM bass.

Heading out to the lakefront EARLY Tuesday morning, 3 am to 6 am.......

We'll see how that goes.
3AM!?!? Holy Schnike! Good luck not crashing the car (falling asleep behind the wheel). Although Wednesday I gotta get the whole family up and out the door by 4:30 AM for our flight to Disney! Mickey Mouse, here we come! (A whole week without fishing....I'll have the shakes by the time we get back. :P

O.F.F.
Fishin D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know this is off the subject, but for the guy that posted going to Disney, go to the wilderness lodge if you have time, you can book a fishing trip on the lakes in disney (ya know the one that the boat trolley things move guests around in, I was told by a customer of mine that they take you out there and you catch huge bass the whole time. They are old pro fisherman that take you out. I guess you fish with just a minnow on a hook and put it in the weeds, you will see the weeds part and the fight is on. Just thought I would share that as I would have never thought of it until he told me.

Fizhon.
fizhon76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in