busse warm water discharge - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2002, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Finally got out fishing after two weeks of no fishing which to me is like an eternity. well anyway I started out with a small minnow fished 2 feet under a bobber, with the minnow under bobber I caught small bass after small bass and I tell ya them small bass at the discharge give a nice fight for there size. Up until about 2 hours through my hands got cold from having to grab a minnow so I switched to a small jig with a green feathered skirt. I dont know what this jig is called but for some reason which is hard to explain bass in the 10 to 12 inch range were hiting it like crazy i caught at least 10 nice sized bass on it that fought as hard as the little ones, i also caught four small crappies about 5 to 6 inches with only one being a nice 8 incher so thats 5 crappies total I also caught some bluegills on the jig sad tosay I lost the jig when my line which was old snapped on a nice sized something I think it was a big bass or maybe evena walleye. then after I lost the jig I fished with minnows and caught nothing more than some bluegills and small bass. If it wasnt for the upcoming opportunity for some nice ice fishing for walleyes, crappies, bluegills, and northern i would forget ice fishing the lake and fish the discharge only in the winter at busse, but nothing beats sitting in a ice shelter catching any type of fish with any ultralight rod through the ice. hopefully by christmas break which for me is from 12-20-02 to 1-6-03 the ice on the outh pool will be nice and thick and I can set upa few tip upsfor themwalleyes.
Please if anyone has ice fished busse post ice conditions
egcthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have also had a blast with my son at the discharge by the main damm nothing to big but a large number of bass in the 10-12 inch range we caught about 20 between us on small crappie minnows a couple dozen gills and even a dink 8inch walleye your right they are fiesty. I think it's due to the fact that the water temp back there is so much warmer.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't want to go ice fishing. Does Busse's warm water discharge freeze? Where is the discharge?
channel cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
OZ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel cat
I don't want to go ice fishing. Does Busse's warm water discharge freeze? Where is the discharge?
CC - the warm water discharge Q gets asked frequently. Instead of giving you the answer, I'll give you a way to find the answer. Not trying to be a smart a**, but searching for the answer may lead to to other posts that may be usefull? Anyway, use this sites search feature - use discharge as the keyword and choose the northern illinois forum. A quick look found two different posts to where the discharge is.

And ice fishing isn't that bad! Unless of course there isn't any safe ice ;-(
OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, I searched. I need to know what intersections its on. And around what temperature is the water there now?

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey cat check it out you go down Arlington Heights Road past higgins look to the right it will say Busse Woods Main Damm right into Busse then make the first left you'll see another sign saying something like Main Damm and upper salt creek take the bike path over the main damm and make a left about twenty yards on the left you'll see it. Lot's of fish take minnows for the bass and crappie. There is adollar store right before you get there in the mall by Harris Bank and Elk grove Bowl that has minnows. I hope this helps enjoy.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think I might go Sunday. What do you reccomend me use for bait?
Old 01-06-2003, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
JP

Seriously Channel Cat, do you bother reading replies to your posts or are you just after Hicks record for sheer number of posts?

A most helpful bassinator posted:

Quote:
Lot's of fish take minnows for the bass and crappie. There is adollar store right before you get there in the mall by Harris Bank and Elk grove Bowl that has minnows.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2003, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

What size minnows, I meant?
Old 01-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get the med. or else you'll have a problem with the hundreds of bluegill that are back there. Just fyi there are some keeper bass but 90% of are under 14in. also I wouldn't take anything out of there for dinner even though I see people doing it I don't think they would taste to good. The water at the discharge has very unique smell to it. Take atlease 2 dozen med minnows the gills are still going to get some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in