I'm new here, but not new to fishing. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm new here, but not new to fishing.

Hi guys, and maybe some gals. This is my first post here. Let me introduce myself as Tim. I live in Lombard for now, but am moving to Algonquin in July. I have a wife and three y/o son. We moved here from central/northern Michigan last summer. I spent my weekends and summers fishing on Big Stone Lake in Osceola County. I've done some river fishing and was on the Big Lake once. If you added up all of the food I could eat in the rest of my life, natural caught 'gills and bass would still be on top of the list. Yes, we ate pretty much all of the fish that were eatin' size that we caught. No, it didn't seem to effect the population. But that all ended about 12 years ago for me, and here I am.

We moved down here and all I salvaged of my fishing equipment was a couple reels, four rods, and mostly rubber worms. All of my hard baits went to eBay members and my boat still in Michigan at my brothers. I just got my licence and we went to pond in Lombard last night. Someone else might know what one, it seemed to be really shallow, and was behind a school in a park. West of Main, south of North Ave. I went and looked at the more-natural looking pond near there I found mentioned on these forums, but it looked a little rougher than I wanted to bring my son to.

We are walking distance to the Westmore Woods park with its pair of ponds. I have seen many panfish and a few bass that might have been 10 inchers. As long as it's not full of yahoos over there today(Sunday) we are going to go there and see what we can catch.

At this point I have a couple questions. I obviously have a good idea of the Michigan fishing laws. I lack the years of experience with Illinois laws though. I read the handbook that the have on their website but would like to talk to an actual experience person about them. If I understand it correctly, there's not a statewide size limit on LM bass here? There's not a season on them either, or more specifically a timeframe when you can't fish for them? You're not supposed to even fish for them until Memorial Weekend in Michigan, or at least we never did fish for them before their season opened.

Lastly, who wants to go fishing? I could use a fishing buddy for when my wife and kid can't/don't want to go.
ImLost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Tim, welcome to CLF.
You are correct that there is no size limit for Largies, and no closed season.
The statewide bag limit is six.
Some places have site-specific size limits though.
For example, the northern reaches of the Illinois River have a site-specific size minimum of 18".

Smallmouth Bass are catch-and-release only (except some of the big rivers) through June 15th.

If you're moving to Algonquin, you'll probably want to get to know the Fox River up there, and the (Fox)Chain Of Lakes.

You'll also be fairly close to Lake Le Aqua Na....the Rock River...Lakes Geneva and Delavan in Wisconsin...Google Map around for awhile.

Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Hi Tim and welcome.
Let me know when you move to Algonquin, Ilive a few miles south of there in Dundee but fish the river in Algonquin frequently.
There are quite a few folks on here that do also and I'm sure you'll meet up with most of us at one time or another.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey guys - Thanks for the welcome.

THe ponds in Westmore Woods were doing well. Only one and two other anglers on each. The LM are spawning so I could see some decent ones right along shore, but they wouldn't even eat a live crawler laying on their face! Unbeleivable! My neighbor was there getting a few on minnows(I seen him bring in two in about 15 minutes) and I could have kept bringing in panfish as long as I wanted. Nothing would touch artificial worms though, just the real ones from under the local rocks.

Here is my son with a little bass from the pond behind the school south of North Ave and west of Main St in Lombard.
ImLost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Cute picture.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to CLF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in