Busse/Salt Creek Report 02/01 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2003, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Busse/Salt Creek Report 02/01

Hey!

I just wanted to thank all you CLFers for all the info on the warm water discharge at Busse/Salt Creek. The info was extremely influential in getting me out (for the first time ever in January) to do a little fishing.

Aside from the bluegills, I caught 7 bass in about 1.5 hrs ranging from 8-11inches. All were caught on drifting minnows with the current between the discharge and the first bend. The bigger the minnows seemed to work best as the bluegills were very feisty.

A question for all you CLFers. Is it worth the trip down stream through all the mud and snow or I am I better off near the discharge? I didn't see much of anything within a hundred yard downstream of the first bend.

Thanks again!

larkin
larkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Larkin,

Thanks for the post, great read, good info. Wish I had some answers for you instead of just questions but I'm going to try to be there tomorrow.

Where did you get the minnows? Is the parking area open off of Arlington Heights Road?

What rig were you using? I'm planning to go ultra-lite, will that be enough to get a nice bass to the shore or are there alot of rocks/trees/rough structure in the area?

This will be my first trip to the discharge.

Hey, Wonny! Did you go today? How about a report?

Thanks again, larkin
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was out there today and saw wonny and anna.

all i can say is anna left the fish with sore mouths! :P

l
JayPeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2003, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Zonker:

The rig I used was as simple as it gets. I went ultralight with 4lb test line and all I used was a #6 hook with a minnow through the lips (no weights). I was fishing from both shores about half way between the discharge and the first bend. After I spotted a few bass swimming around I cast upstream of them about 15ft-20ft and let the minnow swim down on it's own as the current just slowly moved them towards the bass. I forgot my polarized glasses so I had to look carefully but the water is pretty clear. It's just the glare from the sky that makes it difficult.

Anyways, it's not always easy to detect a bite so keep an eye on your line as it acts like an extremely sensitive float. You'll see more and more of your line sink as the minnow swims down. But when you notice the line sink suddenly or more quickly, give it a couple of seconds and then set the hook.

I actually started out with a tiny jig and wax worms right at the discharge, but the bluegills and fingerling bass were all over it. One could easily catch literally 75 or more fish an hour (yes, as fast as you can bait the jig)! But that's not really fun or challenging unless you're like 10 years old.

As for the bait, I picked it up at "Hookers" formerly "Stringers" in Schaumburg on the corner of Golf and Walnut behind the Wendy's. That's about as detailed as I can be unless you have any specific questions.

larkin
Old 02-02-2003, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice to see some of you guys are getting out, I don't think I have fished the lake yet this year. Hoping to get out soon.

Larkin, go ahead and walk through the mud and head downstream from the discharge. Lots of bigger fish down that way and the water gets deeper, too. It's a tough area to fish in the daytime, but if it's cloudy and there's current going through there you might get a few bites.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks DarrenB.
How far down would you recommend? I hope not all the way to Arlington Hts Rd, right?

Oh yeah Zonkers:
Hookers has really wierd hours so call them ahead before you go. They usually open around 9 or 10 am and close by 3pm.

Or try Ed Shirley's in Palatine on Dundee Rd west of 53.

Sorry I don't know either phone number offhand.

larkin
Old 02-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gus

The salmon shop on northwest highway in palatine is about 5 mins. closer than that place on dundee.

phone is 847 934-4050

good fishin all
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default busse warm water

Larkin, I fish the hot water discharge and the creek year round I've made about 5 trips already this year but was to busy this weekend. To fish the creek you can go past the entrance to the dam about 4 blocks on the left pull into the high school parking lot go to the back by the bridge and park then you just have ti cross the street and go down the hill and your at the creek. I fish for walleye there alot jig and minnow or crawler on bottom you can look around a little some shallow water like by the discharge but also some water about 6' in the middle. when you go down there look across the creek you'll see a pretty good size clump of trees in the water in front of them the water is about 6' deep, walleye bass crappie bluegill are all in that area at times. to catch walleye I fish bottom for bass use bigger minnows and jigs bluegill crappie small hooks or ice jigs but to get bigger fish use a little more weight to git the bait past the little fish faster or they will rob you blind good luck and I hope this helps.
Fish 81156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2003, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

I fish that area also a lot. If you fish right on the right side of all the trees where the creek narrows, I,ve had really good luck with a leech for the walleyes Just drag it on the bottom and wait for a really slight bite.
godlike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Godlike is right on Larkin. Fish the end of the creek down toward the high school where it opens up into the wide pool. Depending on the current, daylight and water levels the walleyes will be in different areas around there. The area isn't that big so fish all of it if you can. The beaver dam/downed tree area is a tough spot to fish but there are some nice ones around there.
DarrenB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in