Braidwood Aug 15th. Huge fish kill ?? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Braidwood Aug 15th. Huge fish kill ??

Thundersmom & I went to Braidwood today & the first thing we noticed was a tremendous fish kill. Back in by the old rearing pond which is where we often go to hammer the blue gill, the banks were lined with literally "thousands & thousands"of dead shad, drum perch, & even quite a few cats.
We were out there a couple weeks ago & all was good.
Been fishing that lake for many many years & even in the hottest of hot times I've never seen anything like it was today.
Water temp was no warmer than usual today as it has been in the past during the dog days of summer.
Way to early yet for inversion.
Anyone have any idea what the heck happened out there in the past week or so?
Typically we spot the usual fish laying off the drop offs by the hundreds, & today there were none anywhere to be found.
We did get a few over by the intake side, but even there, there was dead fish along the shoreline.

Granted, they'll be some who reply with the NUKE PLANT comments, but I'm quite serious here. Something major happened out there within the past couple weeks, over & above the summer heat.

Any ideas anyone?
THUNDERSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

itchy mites?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dont know. I can say this, if it is anything like what happened at lasalle lake a while back, nothing happened, you didn't see dead fish and everything was fine.
Who knows though you may find out over that way, at lasalle I asked anyone and everyone. The same answer every time, and that was no answer.
I imagine with a big enough checkbook anything can become nothing.
Its bad news, and ignorance is not always bliss,
basscatsncarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

My guess would be that the shad kill came and toxins were produced from the bacterial breakdown. The cats and drum died from eating the dead shad. It happens like that in the ocean sometimes, anyway.
BARBAPHOBIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Fish oil noticed also

We looked at some of the floating shad & it appeared that they were oozing (for lack of a better term) an oily substance much like our old boat motor does sometimes while were sitting still with the motor off.
I realize some fish are oilier than others, but seeing it as we did, it gave us an uncomfortale feeling to be there trying to catch fish.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was out at Lasalle 2 years ago for the big striper kill-(5# average & 6 walleye in the ramp area at least 4# each). From my understanding it is from the high temps thus providing no Oxygen which kills these fish. Just because its deep and cooler their still has to be viable oxygen.
1QUACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Fish Kill?

This is something I read somewhere and maybe it might shed some light:

Oxygen must be present in the water at or above certain minimum concentrations for fish to survive. The symptoms of an oxygen depletion fish kill are as follows--the fish will be swimming near the surface, attempting to gulp air; large fish will be killed first, followed by smaller fish; the kill will occur at night or in the early morning hours; the majority of fish will be killed within a few hours time; the water in the area will be brown, gray or black; and a foul odor is detectable when the fish kill starts.
Oxygen depletion fish kills are most commonly caused by a die-off of the microscopic green plants (phytoplankton) in the pond, or overturns in which oxygen deficient water from the deeper levels of the pond mixes with water in the upper levels. Phytoplankton imparts a green color to the water in a properly fertilized pond. It is essential as part of the food chain and as a supplier of oxygen. A sudden die-off of these plants may occur, especially during periods of cloudy, overcast weather, when the plants use more oxygen than they supply to the pond. As the phytoplankton die and decompose, the remaining oxygen in the pond is consumed and within a short time, a fish kill occurs due to oxygen depletion.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Thanks curveball

Great explaination & sounds very much like what happened out there.
There were numerous fish at the surface that were dying & as the article said "gulping for air". Thundersmom also commented on the "strange odor" & it wasn't like a dead fish smell. Their were also odd looking "grey patches of water" at the surface in a number of ares. Makes a lot of sense as we know that the Nuke Plants occasionally do a weed kill when it starts to mess with their water intake system. Thats not to say they did it, but anyone who has fished that lake for any length of time will remember a couple years back when the milfoil was so thick it would wrap up your prop to the point of stopping to clean it a half dozen times a day & then all of a sudden, it was gone.
Thanks for that info. We appreciate all the responses.

Still a bit hesitant to head back out there anytime soon if you know what we mean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in