Squaw creek 04-17, A MUST READ FOR ALL CHAIN FISHERMAN!!!!!! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Squaw creek 04-17, A MUST READ FOR ALL CHAIN FISHERMAN!!!!!!

Let me start by saying there is a channel on your left hand side as you enter Squaw Creek just before the bridge that has a barrier/fence in front of it. The middle has a very small opening at times if someone unhooks the chain. Last year and last weekend this lady and guy tell us to get the **** out of here because it is a private channel. So last week i called Fox Waterway Agency and spoke with Connie and she told me they can not tell you to leave because if the water rises and falls with the chain water it is public. She tells me i have every right to fish in there. So this Saturday me my brother and my 10 yr old daughter find some gills and crappies in there and sure enough here comes these 2 people all pissed off again. I explain to the lady that i spoke with the Authority and i said you are wrong. Wow did they go ape ****. They started swearing and did not appear to care that there was a child with us. I had two choices bust the old man over his head or leave. If anyone wants to find panfish this channel is loaded just dont bring your kids. Someone posted about the Vacation Channel situation and Connie told me that you still have the right to be there but they were having problems with people vandalizing so she asked me nicely if i could take a pass on fishing over there but she still said they cannot tell you to leave. We as Chain fisherman need to start calling the DNR and complaining. When we got off the water at BOSSKIES we ran into a Lake County Sheriff and he told us they cannot do that and told us to call the DNR. I will post the correct number on Monday. He said if fisherman dont call the DNR and complain about our rights as fisherman people will continue to keep doing this. Look how much money i guy spends fishing the Chain system. Boat launching,Chain sticker, Bait shops,etc. Guys please start complaining about these people that tell you that you cant fish on "there" water. All it takes is 1 phone call. You can start by complaining about the channel that is blocked off in Squaw Creek. These people reside on Grand ave in the town of Foz LAKE. We wound up with 29 Crappies and 13 Gills in aprox 2 hours of fishing. Like i said before i will post the DNR number on monday. This is our right as a Chain fisherman to be able to access all Chain water. We are not breaking the law, They are.
washhusky101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Great post
Old 04-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I also was under the impression that they have no right to tell you to leave. On the other hand, I have friends that live on Bluff lake and Channel lake that are so frustrated with fisherman, they could scream. From damaged boat covers to having to go to the emergency room to remove a hook from his leg, while removing his pier. He tells me that every year he has to remove all kinds of hooks/lines/lures from his boat and equipment. Another friend had to take his 6 year old in to have a spinner bait removed from the boy's foot which he got when going down the swim ladder. I can see this would become frustrating. Put a nice pier out every year and have to tell your kids not to swim near it? I would be frustrated too.

There's only one place these thing's come from.... that's right, ....us the fisherman. There are some bad fisherman out there that have created some of this tension.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default JD

JD, I know this is happening to home owners on the Chain as i have friends that also have this problem but the fact of the matter is that it is public water. Thats why i would never buy waterfront property on the chain because it is anarchy out there. I would not be complaining if there was a law stating that you cannot fish around so much distance around piers etc. As a matter a fact they should have that in place because if i was a home owner i wouldnt want that happening to my dock or pier. But there is no law and i dont think its fair for them to right there own laws. Look where you live, Can you right your own laws???????
washhusky101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LUNKERMAN2000

I exactly where you are talking about. That chain has been there for years. Now I know I will have to bring the chain cutters with me next time I'm there and cut it off. We cant have people doing that on public water ways.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Guy's I'm not questioning our rights to fish the water, I'm only stating that, except for the ocassional wacko like the guy who put this chain up every year, "WE" the fisherman are the problem. With rights, comes responsibilities, Just because it's legal to fish these area's doesn't give us the right to be bad fisherman, damage their property and put them at risk for injury.......... Well, I guess it does but it should also make us think. My friend on Bluff Lake who is also a fisherman, sat one Sunday morning and counted 19 boats casting at his pier in a two hour time span. He didn't say how many times his boat/pier was hit or how many lines were broke but doesn't that make you think? Do we not care about anyone as long as we're "Legal". Doesn't sound very ethical to me.

All I'm saying is, maybe if the average fisherman was more cautious, people wouldn't be so uptight. :wink:
Old 04-20-2004, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default private waters

So now all the bass fisherman are not suppose to fish docks because they are owned by people who don't like it? IF I were a bass fisherman and got hung up on the ladder of someone's dock, I would motor over there and remove it without breaking it off. Then the owner would come over and yell at me for fishing on private property. So, if I break the line I get yelled at for not being a "responsible" fisherman. Then I go into a back channel and flip a jig at a downed tree that is in someone's yard and get hung (notice I'm not a good caster, that's why I don't fish bass). Do I go over and get it off with the risk of being on private property or do I break off and be "not responsible"? I don't understand this mentality. When you own lakefront property you are on a PUBLIC lake and those are the things you must realize when you purchase the property. It comes with the territory.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default private property

For that matter (yes, I'm on my soap box), what if a big 30 foot cabin cruiser goes flying by and it's wake causes erosion of the shoreline of the property owner? Property owner then has to put in more seawall or another dock. Should the entire Chain be no wake because of that? Is the boater being irresponsible for doing that? I'm not even talking about being close to shore. You know some of the boats on the chain cause a huge wake no matter where they go by. I would love it if it was no wake, but there's no way that should happen!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default private property

For that matter (yes, I'm on my soap box), what if a big 30 foot cabin cruiser goes flying by and it's wake causes erosion of the shoreline of the property owner? Property owner then has to put in more seawall or another dock. Should the entire Chain be no wake because of that? Is the boater being irresponsible for doing that? I'm not even talking about being close to shore. You know some of the boats on the chain cause a huge wake no matter where they go by. I would love it if it was no wake, but there's no way that should happen!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Re: private waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1785
So now all the bass fisherman are not suppose to fish docks because they are owned by people who don't like it? IF I were a bass fisherman and got hung up on the ladder of someone's dock, I would motor over there and remove it without breaking it off. Then the owner would come over and yell at me for fishing on private property. So, if I break the line I get yelled at for not being a "responsible" fisherman. Then I go into a back channel and flip a jig at a downed tree that is in someone's yard and get hung (notice I'm not a good caster, that's why I don't fish bass). Do I go over and get it off with the risk of being on private property or do I break off and be "not responsible"? I don't understand this mentality. When you own lakefront property you are on a PUBLIC lake and those are the things you must realize when you purchase the property. It comes with the territory.

I was only suggesting a little common sense and courtesy, Sometimes it goes a long way. Many fisherman have little of either and those are the ones that create problems for all of us. Some courtesy and less narrow mindedness on BOTH sides, and this problem would all but go away.

Personally, if I see I am in an area that I am not welcome, I'll move, without any problem. I don't want to annoy people. It's not always about someones rights, it's about sharing, and respecting others at the same time. It doesn't matter which side of the issue your on here, if you can't see that each side has a point, than your most likely part of the problem.

I wonder how many chains this guy can put up and how many times you can saw through them.... Sound's like a big waste of time for me, While you guy's are aguing who has the right to do what, I'll be somewhere else catching fish. :wink:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in