FOX CHAIN MUSKY - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you, WALLY, for the clarification...

Re-reading the article I think I found out why Shab was not mentioned...

They talked about 50"plus fish. First one in 1993. Does this mean that Shab has not held the record since before 1993? And, that Shab has never produced a 50"er?

Dumb in spots... Please help!!!
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Shab held 4 state records until 2002, when the fat pig came from under the spillway at Shelbyville (which is now closed to fishing) Shabbona has yet to produce a verified 50"er ( They have been caught though) but due to the strain of fish and the huge shad population, Shab fish have huge girth. The last record from Shab was 38# and 48.5! The Shelbyville fish was longer but only slightly heavier. Denny Sands from the Shab concession, Guide Ron Fulk, and the DNR guys will tell you Shab will give up a 50# any day. They have been seen.
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

I was never confident that the musky program would even work on the chain due to all the boat traffic and limited depths on most lakes. It's a tribute to the stocking programs and management by the DNR. These guy's take alot of heat and work with a limited budget. Their results on the chain have been excellent. They turned a somewhat a abused oversized mud puddle with limited game fish into a quality fishery. Not just for Musky but walleye also.

Kudo's to the fish management people .... and the C&R guy's who also play a big role in keeping these lakes full of quality fish. I'm not a musky fisherman but will raise a few through the course of the summer.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
bt

There are so many musky in the chain, that it's nuisance when bass fishing in the spring and fall. I can't tell you the last time I was fishing a spring when I didin't get bit off by a stupid musky, and numerous (about 2-3) a year are 44"+ fish. I do believe the chain is an awesome musky fishery, I hear though the summer night bite is the way to get a giant or pulling suckers around in the fall. I know numerous guides who say the two best bodies of water for musky are perenially the Fox Chain and Kinkaid. With Evergreen and Shelby giving up good numbers, also don't forget Sterling Lake in wadsworth gave up a 50" fish in 2000 and a 49" finsh in 2002.
bt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Has anybody ever seen the picture of the mucky a guy got ice fishing on the chain? CJ Smiths is where I saw it and I can't remember the specifics of the fish but I know it was at leat 20. The guy let it go but there are many big musky in the chain, next time you are in the area stop by and look at the picture.
fishmanj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2004, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Evergreen has some nice fish in it. I went to ISU and fished it quite regularily. I was there the day a guy caught the state record sauger. We were catching muskies in the spillway and returning them to the lake. You could literally see dozens of fish, muskies, in the spillway. Then you see these billies come out with a line full of treble hooks and snag them. Pretty sad. As far as the chain goes, any of you guys fish it regularly? I would be interested in getting out there this fall. Got a boat, just not familiar with the bodies of water and hate all the recreational boats out there. Figure fall would be the best time to be out there. Anyone interested send me a PM. Esox......
Esox23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'll be there on Friday depending on the high pressure system headed our way. If conditions aren't right, I'll be hittin up the Gander in Wilmot for their clearance sale. Win win situation
Early Fridays are nice on the chain.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Will get even better

I agree with the original poster that the average size musky is improving year over year on the chain. The DNR was thanked in a later post but some credit may be overlooked. The South Of the Border chapter of Muskies, Inc. has been making significant investments in supplemental stocking to the chain every other year. They are responsible for the Leech lake strain in the chain. Some years they were getting fish over 20", 7"+ larger than the Illinois strain the DNR puts in the chain from Jake Wolf/Spring Lake North. To the posters that commented on pleasure boat traffic, I have had some very enjoyable nights on the chain and before memorial day and after about 3rd weekend in Sept it can be virtually nothing but fisherman out there.
Lunch_Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Check out the huge 50" caught by guide Ron Fulk out of Shelbyville last month. look at the girth. That fish was flirting with the stete record. Ron has caught and seen bigger ones out of Shab.

http://www.spinnerbait.org/rons50incher5.jpg
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

I thought the Shelbyville record came from the river just before it enters the late? Thats what I read.
BrandynS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in