The Spinner Report 5/13......A wet day!!! (Pics) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Spinner Report 5/13......A wet day!!! (Pics)

Although the weather was not too fisherman friendly, Wayne from Chicago still toughed it out for a fairly productive day. We launched at the state park at about 7am. The place was a ghost town. We did see Hadley and Chas who were heading out for some musky hunting. With the slow moving cold front, it is difficult to predict the fish activity but figured the river would be a bit less effected by the pressure and temp changes. Water level is up about 6 inches and current is strong. We weren't marking many fish on the bends or deeper water so we mainly hit the downed trees and shorelines to see what was active. We also hit Channel Lake trying some weed pockets at the North end with slip bobbers, fatheads and crawlers. Headed over to the southwest bay where we met up with TJP who was also out with clients braving the weather and banging the water for toothy critters. Also fished the channels between Petite and Fox and picked up a few stragglers on jigs and crawlers and the biggest Drum the Spinner Boat has ever seen.

This guy was 3.5 lbs and 21 inches. For the Chain, that's a big Drum!!! Wayne and I were both hoping this was the walleye for the day as they do fight very similar but after seeing the size of this Drum, there was little disappointment. It was still a nice fight and catch. We caught 9 Drum for the day with the one below being the second largest.

All of the Drum caught were bigger than the usual ones. We continued to hit the shorelines along the channels with jigs and crawlers and did get this single Walleye that unfortunately was a bit short at 13 1/2.

Three large-mouth were caught also right off of shore in the wood. We did see some beds, some empty and some still had fish on them. It appears the water temp drop has temporarily put a stop to the Bass spawn.

And another.......

Also got a White Bass and a Yellow Bass which are always a good fight. They fight harder than the White bass do.

The Yellow...

So the totals for the day were, one Walleye, 9 Drum, 12 Blue Gills, 1 White Bass, 1 Yellow Bass, 3 Largemouth, and a single Crappie. All fish were released other than the Crappie which was about 7-8 inches and a 6 inch Gill that have become official members of the Spinner fish tank. The Crappie at 7-8 inches, is very close to another one already in the tank. They can keep each other company. The Gill will replace one that went to that big fish tank in the sky Friday.

The Spinner Boat did get a bath yesterday as most of the day produced light rain but very little wind which allowed for some pretty accurate casting. Didn't know what to expect with the weather but was still able put some fish in the boat. Although We used crank baits, most fish came off of Slip bobbers and jigs tipped with crawlers and minnows.

The day ended at the Spinner Lounge for a quick beverage and Wayne headed back to the Big City. Thank You Wayne, for making the trip up and hanging in there under some less than comfortable conditions. We were able to turn a nasty day into a nice fishing memory. Hope I was able to show you a few more patterns that can produce fish under tough conditions.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

good job out there JD. I am supposed to pick up the new boat this week so I am sure I'll see you out there. Do you know why the Oak Point launch is closed?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice job JD. I had a feeling it would be a tough bite for you, but you still came through with some nice fish. This weather can't last too much longer I hope.
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey JD, Try keeping your gills and crappies in groups of 3 or more....schoolling fish like them school because of the safety in numbers mentality, cuz it makes them look bigger....I'm willing to bet the 'gill that died on friday was stressed out about being "all alone" in that tank...especially with walleye and catfish lurking in there.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought last week was a light bite!!!

JD was again a great host and captain, expanding my freshwater knowledge base and answering all of my questions.

For a cold, rainy outing, we ended up with a respectable total for the day. I can't wait to go back when they are "turned on"

Thanks again for the great day. Anyone looking for a great day on the water would do well to hook up with the Spinner Boat.

Wayne
ChicagoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

did u notice those sheepheads were had a darker golder shine to them, i got a big one today at montgomery dam and at first i thought it was a carp till i got it out of the water.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks ChicagoX, I too enjoyed the day, even though the weather was a bit tough. Good Luck on the Big Island.

love2fish, I did notice their brownish tint. Usually they are just grey/silver. Maybe Spawning colors???....... Not sure but the bigger ones were easily mistaken for other types of fish until we had a really good look at them.

Jaxon, there were three gills in the tank so the one I lost was not alone at the time of his demise. Actually, I will blame the tank owner for dirty water. I cleaned the filters and did a third water change because they all were looking a bit stressed. Still got a couple with unhealthy coloring. Hope the tank cleaning was done in time. Catfish, Walleye, Crappies and other gill's seem fine now. I think I'm gonna loose a drum too but I never have had one last. Some species just won't survive in the tank. White/Yellow Bass only make it a week at the most.

justblaze3208, Oak Point should open on the 16th.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in