Bad News On The Fox Chain - Page 3 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie Professor
Like I said, not sure if it's the same thing ...but I see it almost every year at thaw time .... will be out again tuesday and will take pics on a lake 70 miles south of you ...and it looks the same ...and this lake is land locked no where near the chain...maybe the scum and spill are not the same stuff and you've got the exclusive on a very bad problem ...hopfully it was caught in time...
The last rain we had that knocked out the snow it was just like that. I was out on Pistakee fishin and saw lot's of holes that were doing the toilet bowl effect with oil slicks. My line was getting covered in the goop. Once they start octopussing and widening up, it seems like any oil or residue gets sucked in there. This was at least a couple weeks before the spill. Not saying that the oil spill hasn't spread tho. I sure hope it's not a serious issue in the future. I love eating fish outta the Chain!! If i have to limit the amount i can have, i'll be pretty upset.
winnebasschamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman
What the company did with it, I don't know.
They turn it into Coors Light.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

I hear you fishead but I gotta be PC on this board, besides I think the Fox indians long ago left the area

I am from WA state originally and have my issues with gill nets and treaty rights that have made Steelhead an endangered species from California to BC.

Lets just say I am on the Fishie's side and any individual, one group or corp who put my finnie friends at risk get my attention.

Joined TU and FFF long ago with the express purpose of preserving cold water fisheries and the creatures who reside in it. Joined CAG just for fun!

If you read the latest Antioch town minutes they once again approved a dangerous new development on Grimm rd. leaving the marsh north of the chain and Sequoit Crk. as their planned storm water drain and filter with no real consideration for the 100 year floods that push through the rather thin margin of wetlands that ultimately keep the watershed clean.

At this point those of you who love the Fox and Fox Chain should consider joining the Friends of the Fox River and put your activism to work against the collective bunch of towns and developers up and down the chain who each think they have the right to handle their slice of water as they see fit.
Antioch is no friend of the river or the lakes. I'ts still the gateway to sludge on the river and floaters in the lakes. Can't blame it on the Cheeseheads up in Burlington anymore, they return the water cleaner than they took it.

click here to see the FOFR http://www.friendsofthefoxriver.org/
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Hope your right Jim, I kinda wish I would've taken a water sample while I was there.

Although they said they would be finished today, they have actually put out more containment hoses (there were only 2 over the weekend) and now have a couple trailers and trucks parked at Pedersens Marina.

Here's some pic's from today.

Here's pic's from Monday where they were attempting to clean beyond the containment area in Sequoit creek indicating they were not successful in containing all the oil.

.... and an oil slick south of their containment point still flowing south. This picture was taken Monday 4 days after the spill.

Probably will never know if what I saw was simply dirty ice that many have stated or if some of it was actually from this spill. Which ever, it's what over the dam now.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #25 (permalink)

Default Our very own JD is in the paper

ANTIOCH -- Cleanup is expected to be completed today for a mineral oil spill.

The oil seeped out of six electrical transformers that were knocked over by a delivery truck last week.

Click to enlarge image

Workers break ice around booms to absorb an oil slick on the channel at Pedersen Marine in Antioch.
(Thomas Delany, Jr./News-Sun)

Click to enlarge image

An oil slick seeps around ice in the channel at Pedersen Marine in Antioch.
(Thomas Delany, Jr./News-Sun)

RELATED STORIES
Photos: Antioch oil spill
The spill also caused some concern for ice fishermen on Bluff Lake, who on Sunday found the oily substance covering their bobbers and lines.

The accident occurred at 10:59 a.m. Tuesday behind the Piggly Wiggly on Orchard Street. A Coca-Cola delivery truck knocked over two power poles, and six electrical transformers fell to the ground and broke, draining into a nearby storm sewer.

"There is no imminent threat to the environment or the public," said Jim Keim, director of physical services for the village. "The liquid is not very hazardous."

About 250 gallons of mineral oil spilled into the storm sewer, which runs straight to Sequoit Creek about a quarter of a mile away, he said.

Power was knocked out to 21 customers, including the grocery store, which lost some product, Keim said.

Because the accident occurred on private property and the driver was not impaired or reckless, no tickets were issued, police said.

SET Environmental worked over the weekend to contain the spill. The company set up barrier booms and absorbent booms where the creek passes under Route 173.

On Monday, the creek had an oily sheen, creating a rainbow of colors. Illinois Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Maggie Carson said that was most likely the result of roadway runoff from rain Sunday night and Monday morning.

Carson said IEPA investigators have not finished their report yet, but the cleanup was going well.

Jim "J.D." Schaefer was fishing on Bluff Lake Sunday when he noticed an oily substance on his gear. He also saw dark material that resembled oil, but there was no oil smell.

Carson said the dark material was probably rotted vegetation that was brought to the surface when the lake water turned over, a natural occurrence that happens at least twice a year.

Schaefer was a little suspicious at first because he had seen the cleanup crews of SET and Environmental Restoration Remediation and Emergency Response at the Route 173 bridge.

He believes that because of the fast-moving currents, some of the mineral oil made its way through Lake Marie and into Bluff Lake. So he posted his information on some fishing sites and notified the IEPA.

"I did what I thought was right," said Schaefer, who has guided on the Chain O'Lakes and in northern Wisconsin for 40 years. But after talking with EPA officials in the Des Plaines office he felt better.

"The mineral oil truly isn't going to hurt much."

The boats on the Illinois River will have less rust," he said with a laugh.

Keim expected the clean-up work to be done by Tuesday.
Finatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in