ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Chain Walleye 5-23

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  edjpok 
#1 ·
Got out to the chain with my buddy BigDog for some walleye action this past Friday. Launched about 6 am from Barnacle Bobs on Marie. Started on middle bar for a bit with no action so we headed for the Rt. 12 bridge. Started casting jig & minnow combo and on my first cast caught some mono.. Pulled it up and found a channel cat about 2# in good shape so I released him. Decided to pull the rest of the line up so I wasn't snagging on it later and would up with a brand new Okuma rod & reel combo (el cheapo, but free!).

Didn't do a lot on the jig and minnow, just a few short eyes and some whites. After an hour or so of that we decided to switch to a trolling program and that's when things turned on for us. We had two crawler rigs out, BigDog was running the slow death, I was running a standard Colorado harness in firetiger. We also were running a crankbait each. I ran the chartreuse/Wonderbread ReefRunner, BigDog ran a jointed shadrap F-5 in golden shiner pattern. We started picking up fish pretty steady with a mix of walleye, whites, sheepshead, catfish and even some largemouth. The crawlers outproduced the cranks about 2-1 but they all took hits. We switched cranks quite a bit and about everything took fish. We fished several areas, from Rt 73 bridge to the mouth of the Fox and as long as there was good current, we caught fish. We boated a TON of short fish, probably 40 but managed to boat 6 decent fish that fit the slot. No slobs over 24" for us either, but still a great day on the water.

BigDog

Me

Fish

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.