ponderosa - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ponderosa

I have been to ponderosa at least 10 times I always catch fish. Now I can't seem to catch any Bass or gills of any size. I wouldn't keep the bass anyway.I use a senco type lure and buzzbaits mostly.Like I said I don't realy have trouble catching fish its just the size .does anybody have any suggestions? Also I have a 16ft boat what other lakes would anyone recomend? I have been on Eagle and Carp
sbnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was out sunday afternoon and was using Senko and senko imitations wacky rigged for bass. Watermelon color seems to work the best for me. I casted right next to the reeds and also found some in 10' feet of water in weeds. No size to any but didn't get skunked.
Search for Localyokal, slimshady and drakebuster posts (fountain of excellent information on Mazonia)
ProMag145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Drakebuster

They are in there, this time of year you have 3 options. Go Deep during the day, shallow right at opening time, and near the first drops in the evening. Being so clear and water temps hovering in the mid 80's, this is the toughest time of year for Pondo. You may need to go with a extremely slow presentation. This annoys me, but during crunch time I'll do it. Sinking a weightless plastic by the deep drop offs takes time, but if they are there they will usually hit it. Keep in mind a lot of the "hits" may not be obvious. Your line may just start swimming around, or you may barely feel a thunk at all.
Hope this helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

With such a light bite I have deep hooked a couple when wacky rigged. I been thinking of using circle hooks - anybody been using them with success? Any recommendations on hook size?
Tim
ProMag145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Drakebuster

Honestly, I don't wacky to much, so I wouldn't be much help. I've been rigging mine Texas with a 2/0 or 3/0. I like to fish really tight to the weeds so if I do wacky I use a weedless hook, needless to say I still get hung up though. My partner uses a circle hook when he wackies though, haven't seen him deep hook one yet either. I've deep hooked 1 in the past month, I also keep a pair of side cutters in the boat so I can cut the hook in 1/2 and take it out to better the odds for the fish.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jecmo

i wacky rig alot and a circle hook is fantastic if you can get used to not setting the hook to hard if you just let the fish swim off and just reel in you are gonna be fine and it will will hook in the corner of the mouth all the time if you set hard like normal you will lose 90 percent i love circle hooks and i use the smallest i can get away with so that just depends on wut size worm you are throwin hope this helped you out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in