SHOULD WE SHUT OUR PIE HOLES ? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default SHOULD WE SHUT OUR PIE HOLES ?

WITH THE TWO COOLING LAKES BEING CLOSED OUR BELOVED MAZONIA IS GOING TO SEE A LOT MORE PRESSURE. WHICH COULD LEAD TO ALOT MORE FISH DISAPPEARING INTO SOMEBODYS FRYING PAN. I THINK IN ORDER TO SAVE ALITTLE OF THE FISHING WE MAY NEED TO KEEP OUR POSTS TO OURSELVES FOR A WHILE. I KNOW FOR A FACT MEATHUNTERS ARE READING THESE POSTS. SO WHY MAKE IT EASIER FOR THEM. EVERY PERSON THAT KNOWS HOW TO FISH ISNT GOING TO MISS THESE POSTS. I LOVE READING THEM BUT COME ON I DONT WANT MAZONIA TO BECOME A BODY OF WATER WITH OUT ANY BIG FISH. MAZONIA MAN I WAS OUT THERE WITH YOU THE DAY BEFORE THE LAST DAY LAST YEAR AND SO HOW MUCH YOU ENJOY FISHING I HAVE TO SAY YOUR POSTS ARE AWESOME BUT COULD ALSO BE DEADLY. AT LEAST IF YOU WANT TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT YOU CAUGHT DONT TELL THEM WHERE. I LOVE MAZONIA AS MUCH AS YOU AND DONT WANT TO SEE IT BECOME A THING OF THE PAST. IM SURE YOU THOUGHT OF THIS YOURSELF. IT REALLY HIT ME WHEN I SAW YOUR BRAIDWOOD CLOSED GET READY FOR THE CROWDS POST. IT ACTUALLY MADE ME KIND OF SICK JUST THINKING ABOUT ALL THOSE PEOPLE THERE. WELL THIS IS JUST AN OPINION BUT I KNOW QUITE A FEW PEOPLE WITH IT. THANKS FOR YOUR EAR. SAVE A FISH TIP A BUCKET. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND THE USA JESUS IS LORD !!!
EYEFISH4BASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default mum s not the word

Back in the 60s and 70s nobody shared any worthwhile info then along came Fishing Facts magazine and eventually In-FISHERMAN and other publications and they not only shared info but got the whole sportfishing interested in concepts such as catch and release and habitat improvements and you want to return to those thrilling days of yesteryear?? NOT ME and I don t worry about other fisherman fishing out the pits it hasn t happened so far and I ve been sharing info since 1972 out there also most of those boats at Braidwood are oversized for Mazonia and the shore fishermen can have all the cats and gills they want and never put a dent in crappie, bass, or pike fishing!!
cabledave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Reports

It has crossed my mind at times that I was giving away too much. The better part of me thinks that people will respect the fishery. I saw a lot of improvements in the trash problem at Ponderosa when they opened the road after raising some people's awareness about the effects of their littering. The gas motor boaters on Pondo also moderated their behaviors and I've seen some tell other guys to slow down it's a no-wake lake. I know that there are meat hogs out there, and when I've run into people taking too many or wrong sized, believe me, I gave them a piece of my mind. But I don't spend too much time worrying about it. There's really only a few of us out there who know the fishery well enough to get each other's obscure location references.

The boaters who start out going to Braidwood and end up at Mazonia are not going to be catching many fish. You have to fish Mazonia for a while to get it. Also, you get 30 or 40 motor boats on Pondo or Monster and nobody is going to be catching if you know what I mean (or just 10 or 15 on Eagle). Too much noise in and on the water puts the fish down just like a cold front.

Also, I have modified my reports somewhat from the earlier days where I once gave away specific locations on identified lakes with specific fishing methods to people over this board. I've tried to move to talking more about specific fishing methods and results, giving tips without specific locations. My motivation has always been of helping people to have successful fishing experiences, to enjoy and treasure this gift of nature reclaimed.

So I say, keep posting! Let's have fun!
MazoniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2003, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's true about posting about the fishing. I remember it took me a while to understand the ways of fishing those waters. I had asked a buddy if he wanted to come along with me fishing, when he heard about fun I had there a few times. Little did he know how hard it was to catch a fish on the first outing. He had his own boat and I had my canoe along with my son, he had a hard time keeping his boat still and fish the same time. He ended up letting the boat float to the shore and watch us have a ball catching one after another. (All released) I showed him a few tricks but that didn't last for him. He thought it was too hard to fish those waters and he hasn't been back since. This board is a nice way to chat with others about how their fishing day went. Once someone was in my favorite spot fishing and I watched them a while. They weren't getting a bite and I thought it wasnt going to do me any good if I move into that spot if they moved somewhere else. When they moved out and I gave it a test, wow it was the best time I ever had, ran out of bait in less than half hour and those guys were dumbfound watching me.....I hope those big boaters would keep our waters clean and clear and take care of our fisherys for all to enjoy. As for posting I'm learning alot about Mazonia's historys alot from MazoniaMan about the area! Lets have a good fishing season!
bluegillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

HEY MAZONIAMAN, I HEARD THEY ARE GETTING READY TO DEVELOP THAT ROAD BACK TO LAKE #10. HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING. HOW IN THE HECK WOULD THEY HAVE PARKING FOR BIGGER RIGGS BACK THERE. I HOPE THEY DONT CAUSE THAT PLACE IS TOO BEAUTIFUL FOR BIG RIGS. ITS ALMOST LIKE YOUR IN THE BOUNDRY WATERS OF MINNIESOTA WHEN YOUR BACK THERE. AND I WOULDNT WANT THAT TO BE RUINED . WELL GOOD LUCK WITH THE UP COMING YEAR AND I HOPE YOUR FAMILY IS STILL DOING WELL. I STILL PRAY FOR YOU GUYS EVERY NIGHT. JESUS IS LORD!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep for "THE BOUNDRY WATERS OF MINNESOTA". I said that before while back on the earlier post. When I first tried the new area and it reminds me of BWCA days. I tried to make them think of that and keep it as it is wild and free. But now you said heard that they were planning to open up to lake #10. By the way how did you hear about that?
bluegillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2003, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

HEY BLUEGILL, I HAVE A REAL GOOD FRIEND THERE WHO HAS THE INSIDE SCOOP ON EVERYTHING. I ASLO FOUND OUT SOME GOOD NEWS. THE ROAD WILL NOT GO ALL OF THE WAY BACK TO #10 BUT WILL GO ALL OF THE WAY TO KANKAKKE RD. THEY ARE GOING TO BUILD A PARKING LOT RIGHT WHERE THE ROAD STARTS TO BEND. SO NO ROAD AND NO BOAT LAUNCH FOR #10 . THEY ARE ALSO GOING TO DEVELOP THE ROAD JUST SOUTH OF LAKE #6 ITS GOING TO GO BACK QUITE AWAY AND HAVE THREE OR FOUR PARKING LOTS BACK THERE FOR THE BELLY BOATERS. I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A STATE THAT CLAIMS ITS SO BROKE THAT LAST YEAR THEY ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT CLOSING MAZONIA NOW HAS MONEY TO DEVELOP ROADS AND PARKING LOTS. GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR & CPR.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

SHOULD WE SHUT OUR PIE HOLES?
Over and over and over and over, that suggestion not question, has rolled from one end my thoughts to the other.
I tried to get over it.
I tried to ignore it.
I couldn’t.
What is it about this generating suggestion that has caused it to stick hard in my craw?
Kinda like a fish bone stuck in the throat that just won’t quit irritating until you finally reach in and pluck it out.
Well the bone is stuck and needs to be plucked.
It’s the suggestion itself, posted here on these boards, where what we do, is SHARE.
That is the reason why some of us “Anglers With Ethics,” come here.
Not only to reap the rewards from information given up by other seasoned anglers but to give a little bit of our own seasoned knowledge back.
That, to this angler, is what these fishing information sites are all about.
Sorta like a fishing club, isn’t it?
What are fishing clubs about?
Sharing!
So here we have this suggestion.
Shut our pie holes.
Keep our mouths shut.
Mums the word.
Give up no helpful information of any kind, any sort that might just aid one fisherman in his attempt at turning his day in the out of doors a successful one.
Hmmm.
It makes me wonder.
Why does a fisherman come to Chicagoland Fishing.com and put up a post such as this?
So I decided to take a bit of time and read through each and every post this fella has shared with us.
Ya know what I found?
This fisherman, as he states, “professional fisherman (I wish),” has never, not one single time, posted a fishing report on this site.
Not one.
He has not once, in all of the posts he has put up, ever, shared a fish catching tip with any one of us.
Not one.
Never told us of a productive bait or presentation.
Never shared knowledge of how to read the waters or follow a fishes seasonal movements or understand their habits in any way at all.
Not once.
Ya know what?
I could not find in those posts one speck of fish angling knowledge at all.
What I did find, and repeated over and over and over, was how we “Anglers With Ethics,” should tip some poor soles bucket of fish over and ruin that fisherman’s day.
Any Luc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Mazonia Site Development

The Mazonia Site Development Plans have at times included:

At the South Unit:

developing the drive-in road through the wilderness area all of the way to Long Lake's old strip entrance ramp where a parking lot was to be built

then a scaled back plan to extend the drive-in road half the way to where the road bends (some wilderness area they envision, eh?)

public brick outhouses at Monster

regrading and widening to two lanes the current one-lane road to Ponderosa

handicapped accessible fishing piers at Monster and Ponderosa

At the North Unit:

handicapped accessible actual public restrooms (with running water!) at the office with external entrances

more handicapped accessible fishing piers (there is one at a small pond just off and behind a pond next to the road where large catfish have been liberally stocked)

additional family picnic areas

extending the road past the gate to Shangrila with a parking area and more fully developed ramp

then a shorter scaled back plan of extending the road to the south side of the U-Lake

The fact of the matter is, every State Department, including DNR, puts into its budget the wishlist of improvements and dollars to do it site by site as a part of their overall plan and budgeting process. These plans are based upon what they were able to do in years past, what they want to do in the future, the priorities they have set for the next fiscal year site by site, and how much money they're asking for over last year's budgets.

Then the site plan is modified each year based upon the amount of money the Department has actually been allocated and then how it is divied up among all of the public sites based upon what they want to accomplish at specific sites within the budget they've actually gotten.

This year's state budget is bleak, with Governor Blago having to find ways to cut almost 5 billion.

Some of his budget proposal is basic refinancing, the sale of and lease back of public buildings, across the board cuts to state programs department by department, combining departments, eliminating commisions, cutting state employees and their benefits, new riverboats, etc. Blah, blago, blah.

Bottom line is there is not much new money for new projects anywhere. That's not to say some state department folks won't find some money somewhere for their pet projects. Site plans still will go on with lots of proposed "improvements," and some being carried out.

However, this year and next, I think state employees and departments are moving into a survival mode. We'll probably be lucky just to keep our open days and hours at many places if they short staff DNR too much.

As for me, the less bricks and mortar development and "improvements" the better I say. I like it the way it is.

I say put any 'found' extra money into improved fishery management, expanded sports fish stocking programs, flora and fauna studies, prairie restoration, habitat improvements, a mapping project, start a trash cleanup program, ameliorate the several areas that are environmental hazards left over from the mining operations and one or two careless farmers who had homemade anything goes in dumps, and more staff for the office, enforcement, and public safety.

All those bricks and mortar projects are coming some day though. They call it "progress."

These decisions are usually made with little opportunity for public comment or input by appointed public functionairies or lifelong civil servants who rarely leave their comfortable offices except to go down to Springfield each budget cycle to find new money for new office furnishings, to get naming rights for new public areas named after their bosses, new state leased vehicles to drive back and forth from Springfield, or to head to the public golf course in the weekday afternoons where they get free reserved tee times, etc. ad nauseum.
MazoniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

HEY ANYLUC ITS TO BAD YOU FEEL THAT WAY BUT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION. YOU MUST HAVE ALOT OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS LOOKING BACK THROUGH MY POSTS. I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE TIGHTLIPPED ABOUT MY FISHING REPORTS AS WELL AS MY SPOTS AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ MY POSTS. ALSO IF YOU SAY I DONT CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO THIS BOARD YOU MAY BE RIGHT BUT THATS BECAUSE IM BUSY WRITING FOR THE OUTDOOR NOTEBOOK AND MIDWEST OUTDOORS. IM SURE YOUVE READ SOME OF MY STUFF. MAYBE EVEN LEARNED A THING OR TWO FROM IT. SO TO SAY I HAVENT CONTRIBUTED ANYTHING TO THIS BOARD YOU ARE CORRECT BUT I PUT MY WORDS ON PAPER. SO CHOKE ON THAT SLAPNUT!!! AND ALSO WHEN I SAY TIP A BUCKET I GUESS I SHOULD BE MORE SPECIFIC. I MEAN A BUCKET WITH ILLEGAL SIZED BASS' IN IT WHICH I SEE ALL OF THE TIME CLOSE TO HOME. IM SORRY I CARE ABOUT MEATHUNTERS PILLAGEING AND PLUNDERING OUR MAZONIA BUT LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT THATS THE WAY I AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in