Ever Fished Bayles Lake? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fish chef
Default Ever Fished Bayles Lake?

My In-laws just bought a house on Bayles lake, about 2 hours south of Chicago on I-57 near Paxton. Has anyone ever fished on it before? I understand its in a private community, but It's a nice looking lake, lots of inlets & points. I was wondering what could be caught there. Of course, I'll try and find out soon!

Also, I'm new to that general area and was wondering where other fishing opportunities exist there. any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chef, I only live about 5 miles from Bayles. You are correct that it is a private lake. Only people living there or their guests. It is a good lake to fish though. The fish get very little pressure other than shore fisherman. May see someone casting from a pontoon once in a while. The bass fishing can be great at times with numbers and some bigger fish. There are walleyes that get caught often but 2 years ago a bunch of them died off over winter. They found some 7-8 lb. fish floating when the ice came off. I have a co-worker who lives there and he has caught some again this past year. There have also been several really nice striped bass caught. Not sure how many are in there. The catfishing can be really good too. They have mainly channels but we have caught several flatheads. The panfish seem to be mainly dinks but I'm sure there are some bigger ones in there. Because of work and my oldest sons track meets I haven't gotten out there with him yet this year. Sounds like the screwy weather we had the fish are still messed up. I was told that some bass have spawned but some are still on the beds. The crappie are done but some smaller males still being caught. If you are a gill chaser they are going nuts on all the farm ponds down here. I can't help to think if you could find some bedding out there that some bigger fish could be caught. The catfish should be turning on real soon if they haven't yet. Outside of farm ponds there are not many options there. Clinton , Dawson, Bloomington,Evergreen, and Shelbyville are all about 1.5 hours away. Good luck if you get down and get ahold of me if you have any other questions.
panfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I fished at Bayles lake last 4th of July. It was about 95 out and very windy. Managed a couple of decent 17" LMB on the standby 7" berkley power worm. Water was very murky. Remember talking to some guy fishing the shore who said he caught a 12# walleye out of there from shore. Ended up leaving there and going down to the Middlefork FP and campground. There are 3 small, weedy, clear water ponds there that are loaded with bass. I'll be visiting my brother and sister in-law down there over memorial day weekend and will definitely be getting some fishing in while I am there.

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Superfluke, sorry I could never hook up with you last summer when you were down. I remember you saying that Middlefork was good to you. I still have yet to hear anyone else do any good out there. Maybe the waders and getting on the outside of those weeds is the ticket out there. I only ended up getting to fish twice all last summer with the babies and coaching my oldests baseball team. It has been much better this year. Would be great to hook up with you guys when you make it down.
panfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fish chef

Sounds Like I lucked out... a lake with little fishing pressure! Another good reason to love my wife, :wink: Her parents lake! Sounds pretty interesting, I'm hoping to get down there the second week of June and for sure over the 4th of July. As you may be able to tell, I'm a chef and we're just about to finish our busy season. As soon as the NRA convention leaves town( the other NRA, National Restaurant Association), it will be fishing season for me. Thanks for the info, guys. Maybe we can wet some lines together this summer.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well if anybody out there lives on a great fishing lake with a unattached average or better daughter or wants to adopt me before I retire, pm me.

Be careful wading in vermillion county, the dnr cops think your suicidal and the signs say no wading. I even been chased off sand bars that I walked in mud to get to. Staying west of 57 and north of 9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in