EIU Campus lake - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds to me like you have somewhere to fish now Ben.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default BTM

BTM-

before you throw in the towel- consider Winona State University.

It is 4 hour drive right to the door from Around Elmhurst there. Scenery is fantastic and there are about 55 species of fish including:

Brown Trout
Rainbows
Brookies
Walleyes
Saugers
Crappies
White Bass
Largemouth

I would rank this school as the top fishing school in the country as there are streams, backwaters, main channel mississippi- lake Winona- you are about :15 from the Panfish capital of the world- Lake Onalaska- Spring walleye runs are awesome there...

The campus is really awesome and you will find both good weekend activities as well as decent classes!

Top reasons:

Tuition costs same for out-of-state as Northern or SIU!
Brand new facilities up there for Science, Music, English, Student Union.
Girls Outnumber boys up there
1/3 of school is from Chicago area!
Easy to find rides back every weekend if you need to or when you want to

Give it a try, you will love the fishing and you never know, you might learn something valuable- like how to fish deep drops in the backwaters or how much weight you will need to jig in the Mississippi for giant walleyes..

Chicago Fishing School
Chicago Suburban Fishing League

chicagoangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

EIU also has a decent business school. Within 10 miles of campus are lake Charlston, Lake Matoon, Lake sara, The Embarass river, Fox Ridge Park. Great fishing.
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

BTMBass, I got news for you buddy. Unless you go to Wheaton College, any state school is a party school. I went to U of I, party school, my cousin went to ISU, Party school. My friends went to eastern, western, northern, and biggest party school of all southern, and yes they all were Party schools. Man I miss college, however as far as fishing goes, I've never fished Eastern, but Lake Bloomington near ISU, has great fishing, huge bass, walleye, and I believe Stripers are in there also. At Illinois I know that they have a fishing club, so where ever you go, check to see if they have a fishing club, otherwise find a friend with a car who likes to fish. Do a little research about your school, and you will find plenty of places to fish. And one more thing a party school is not a bad thing,more drunk chicks. Mops
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BTMBASS Send a message via Yahoo to BTMBASS

Thanks again everyone, I heard that Winona had some awesome scenery. I just never applied there. I only have until the end of this week to decide, if I want to get a good dorm room. Stalker it is good that you mentioned that EIU has a good business program b/c that is what i am going to major in. But right now, both schools seem to be dead even. Muskymunster, how close are those ponds to the campus? I'll have my bike with me, so I could easily ride to a pond as long as it is a reasonable distance away (up to a 35 minute bike ride). I do not mind a party school, it is just the dead beat dropouts that I heard make up the majority of EIU. I'll let everone know on what school I choose. Thanks again.-Ben
BTMBASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

As a current college student with friends all over the state and with my little sis and her friends looking at colleges, here's your info from best to least:

party schools: SIU tops, UoI, EIU, WIU, ISU, NIU

schools to learn something at: UoI, NIU, ISU, WIU, SIU, EIU

what i'd reccomend: ISU, NIU, UoI (if you like big schools go here, obviously), WIU, EIU, SIU

with apologies to SIUers and EIUers, my top recommendations go to Illinois State and Northern IL. Any decent size public college (which includes all of the above schools) with be full of parties, don't worry about that, and the number of coeds really depends on your major.

AND, as is the big question, for fishing i'd rank them ISU, WIU, UoI with the three lakes around bloomnorm giving it the edge over UoI's lakes. WIU has good river fishing but not much in the way of lake fishing.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

SIU would have to be the clear choice for best fishing school - Crab Orchard, Little Grassy, Devil's Kitchen, Lake Of Egypt, Cedar all within a few miles. The climate is a little milder, too. It's the undisputed party king of party schools, so the choice should be easy for any young man with his priorities straight.
syork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
MJB

I know the lake on EIU had a 160 pound sucker in it.....me for about 1.2 minutes, kinda hard to get out with ice skates on..........
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BTMBASS Send a message via Yahoo to BTMBASS

Thanks for all the information people. I have thought long and hard about this and have decided to go to ISU. Muskymunster, i am going to need ur help (or anyone's) to help find the lakes once i move out there. I'll keep in touch with you. thanks again everyone.-Ben
BTMBASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

well i just had to chime in here, I'm finishing my master's at SIU. Great place all around. Weather's great, fishin's good-lots of places to go, not really any smallie fishing though! Don't know anything about the business school, but if you're into Zoology it's the place to be in IL. If you can bring a small boat, you'll be set. If not invest a belly boat would get you on some of the small water. The student rec center will rent a canoe for 8 bucks a day.

syork-you a saluki? good advice but you left out cedar, Kinkaid, murphysboro, all the refuge ponds, the MISSISSIPPI and big muddy rivers, (rend and baldwin are within an hour), plus several small city water supply lakes which usually hold a bunch of nice bass.
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in